ReefCleaners.org

Friendly Reminder Thread

TheKleinReef

natalia_la_loca

friendly reminder to have a backup pump! pull the dirty one, replace it with the clean one, stick the dirty one in citric acid overnight to loosen deposits, give it a rinse and put in storage for when the other pump needs cleaning. easy!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
natalia_la_loca

friendly reminder to raid your kitchen, junk drawer etc for reef supplies! you never know what random household item could become your next incredibly useful reef tank tool!

(exhibit A: the turkey baster)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Friendly reminder to take a minute or two today to recalibrate your Hanna salinity pen or refractometer 🙂

On 8/13/2023 at 11:25 PM, natalia_la_loca said:

friendly reminder to raid your kitchen, junk drawer etc for reef supplies! you never know what random household item could become your next incredibly useful reef tank tool!

(exhibit A: the turkey baster)

My wife absolute loves when I do this.

"Honey, where are all the plastic measuring spoons"

Terrence Ross Wow GIF

• Haha 2
25 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

friendly reminder to toss the hanna salinity pen.

it drifts almost immediately after calibrating.

Mine has been bang on with my tropic marin glass refractometer, it's never drifted even between calibrations. Once every few months I will bring it to my buddies to check it against his more scientific tools. Honestly, never had any real drift.

TheKleinReef
30 minutes ago, Lebowski_ said:

Mine has been bang on with my tropic marin glass refractometer, it's never drifted even between calibrations. Once every few months I will bring it to my buddies to check it against his more scientific tools. Honestly, never had any real drift.

i got a dud then. i calibrated it and 24h later it was like 0.05 off.

20 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

i got a dud then. i calibrated it and 24h later it was like 0.05 off.

Did you buy it on Amazon by chance? I hear there is a racket on some Hanna stuff where knock offs are being sold and they look very close to the actual equipment.

• Agree 1
TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, Lebowski_ said:

Did you buy it on Amazon by chance? I hear there is a racket on some Hanna stuff where knock offs are being sold and they look very close to the actual equipment.

nah. Got it from BRS. I emailed them and they said it was "improperly stored." I told them I calibrated it right out of the box and it drifted by the next day. they didn't help at all.

• Sad 1
TheKleinReef
12 hours ago, A.m.P said:

What exactly entails improper storage of a salinity pen?
Bizarre argument from the company, not very confidence inspiring lol...

you're supposed to rinse it with RODI and let dry completely before closing the pen.

but i literally opened it, calibrated it, used it, washed/dried, and then used it again the next day to see what the number would be and it was really far off.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca
12 hours ago, Lebowski_ said:

Friendly reminder that everything is transitional and we are all just specks of complicated dust on a lonely blue planet. Take a deep breath and zoom out from your stressors today.

Quote I like from a book I just read by Iain Reid called "We Spread"...it's a bit of a trippy story.

A moment isn't a moment. A moment is an eternity. A moment should mean something. It should mean everything.

Happy Good Morning GIF by DINOSALLY

Past me when my reefbowl had dinoflagellates would have loved this

(present me loves it too)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...