ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Evo Stocking idea

yolohansolo007

yolohansolo007

Hello I have had my Fluval Evo 13.5 for about 3.5 years and I had a lone clownfish that would attack anything I would add he recently died about 2 weeks ago and I have left the tank alone which only has a handful of things in it like a tiger pistol shrimp 2 hermit crabs and a bumblebee snail along with a very small frag of zoas. My question was if I could have a pair of ocellaris clowns and potentially a six line wrasse in the tank if I keep up parameters.  

Six-line wrasses often get very aggressive in these smaller tanks.  I might choose a bi-colored blenny or some another less aggressive option.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
yolohansolo007
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Six-line wrasses often get very aggressive in these smaller tanks.  I might choose a bi-colored blenny or some another less aggressive option.

Yeah i read into it more and i'll probably go with just a pair of clowns just to be safe

yolohansolo007
22 minutes ago, Woodini said:

Why such a light clean up crew?

Not much bioload and i target feed as to not allow too much nutrient into the water thats how its been for years 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, seabass said:

This!

Another option would be a captive bred pygmy filefish. Or, if you wanted more of a "showpiece" fish, captive bred Orchid Dottybacks are stunning. Definitely add it last, though, and make sure there is a lot of rockwork.

I'd skip the 6 line.

yolohansolo007
4 hours ago, Lebowski_ said:

This!

Another option would be a captive bred pygmy filefish. Or, if you wanted more of a "showpiece" fish, captive bred Orchid Dottybacks are stunning. Definitely add it last, though, and make sure there is a lot of rockwork.

I'd skip the 6 line.

I have been reading about the 6 line and I think that I might potentially try and keep one with a pair of ocellaris clowns after the clowns have been established as they are both semi aggressive fish and if it doesnt end up working I can always bring it back to my LFS. But of course this is just an idea currently

• Wow 1
3 hours ago, yolohansolo007 said:

I have been reading about the 6 line and I think that I might potentially try and keep one with a pair of ocellaris clowns after the clowns have been established as they are both semi aggressive fish and if it doesnt end up working I can always bring it back to my LFS. But of course this is just an idea currently

Well, good luck. Certainly not ideal for the fish.

I have a 22g long and the only fish I keep in there is a six line wrasse. I don’t plant on adding any other fish cause he’s an ace hole. I really like him though. He’s a hit with everyone because he’s so pretty and personable. Anytime anyone comes up to the tank he gets peppy and puts on a show darting around and showing off. So the 22 long is just his tank. When we build big tank though a six line won’t be on the stocking list

4 hours ago, yolohansolo007 said:

To catch a six line wrasse you’ll either be extremely lucky or you’ll be tearing down all your rock work. Put that six line in that small tank with tank mates and it will end in failure in some sort of way. If you are dead set on this stocking list throw that toy tank in the trash and buy a bigger tank. You’re saving yourself money and trouble. You may not ever witness the bullying. But it will happen. They are AGGRESSIVE don’t trust anyone who says they aren’t. Not even your CUC is safe. I see hunter harassing my CUC daily. His name isn’t Hunter for nothing

• Like 1
yolohansolo007
2 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

To catch a six line wrasse you’ll either be extremely lucky or you’ll be tearing down all your rock work. Put that six line in that small tank with tank mates and it will end in failure in some sort of way. If you are dead set on this stocking list throw that toy tank in the trash and buy a bigger tank. You’re saving yourself money and trouble. You may not ever witness the bullying. But it will happen. They are AGGRESSIVE don’t trust anyone who says they aren’t. Not even your CUC is safe. I see hunter harassing my CUC daily. His name isn’t Hunter for nothing

Ok I will follow everyone's advice and not get a six line i'll probably stock with a pair of clowns and some sort of shrimp goby and hope it will pair with the pistol shrimp thank you all.

• Like 2

If you can find a pink-streaked wrasse it will be a more peaceful option than the sixline.  Easily my favorite fish ever and in my tank:)  Mine gets along great with a pair of clowns and a firefish. 

yolohansolo007
2 hours ago, ml86743 said:

If you can find a pink-streaked wrasse it will be a more peaceful option than the sixline.  Easily my favorite fish ever and in my tank:)  Mine gets along great with a pair of clowns and a firefish. 

If I can potentially find one I absolutely would but its unlikely for me as my lfs is just a petco which only really has common fish and there are no other fish stores around thanks for the suggestion though its a beautiful fish.

Even a pair of clowns will be a lot for such a tiny tank – after they are in, consider the tank 105% full as far as fish go.  

In general some margin for error is better than none – like you had it before with one clown.  1 clown in 10 gallons is a sort of rule-of-thumb minimum.  At 13 gallons you have a little margin for error, so to speak.  That was good!

Something like 20 gallons would be more ideal for a pair.   That is double true if you want to have space to add another fish.  But you have to pick something more nano-friendly.  No dottybacks or six-lines! 😉 

On 6/19/2023 at 4:40 AM, Lebowski_ said:

Orchid Dottybacks

I have one of these and a pair of clowns in my Evo. They do fine together. I added the Dotty a month after the clowns. There was a little back and forth when the dotty wanted the same cave as the clowns, but they chased him out of there and he found a different one. They don't bother eachother.

I'm not dismissing anyone's reports about keeping certain fish together.  However, sometimes these fish are juveniles whose dispositions change as they grow older.  Also individual fish have different personalities.  So what might work for somebody, might or might not work for someone else.  Then there are tank sizes, aquascapes, feeding routines, wild vs captive fish, etc to consider.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Then there are tank sizes, aquascapes, feeding routines, wild vs captive fish, etc to consider.

Great point. Aquascape and filtration are a bigger deal than total tank volume. They need hiding spots to avoid eachother when desired. I also have a deep sand bed in the back that slopes down to the front, so the filtration is way more capable than normal. I can feed as much as I want and still have 0 phosphate. Just hit 5 on nitrates which was a surprise.

Filtration:

• No regular water changes. Just dosing All-for-reef and wet skimming. This is a bit of an experiment to see how long I can hold low nutrients without changing the water. Making sure it is vacation ready with the auto-top off. I occasionally have to add a small amount of salt water as the wet skimming and hands in tank drop the salinity over time.
  • Live rock
  • Deep sand bed
  • Refugium in 2nd chamber (13 hour light cycle per day)
  • MarinePure Gems in 2nd chamber
  • ChemiPure Blue in 1st chamber
  • Protein Skimmer in 1st chamber (20 hours per day)