Cultivated Reef

Hi all new in

JohnA

8 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Ammonia is a poorly understood topic on the hobby side of things.

The best thing to happen to ammonia in our hobby is....no, not "fishless" cycling 😉 ...it's the Seachem Ammo Alert.   

While an Ammo Alert won't do a water change for you, it's practically fool-proof as far as it goes.  I wouldn't cycle a tank without one if I was a newb.....regardless of cycling method.

When you say Stability doesn't work, what do you mean, BTW?   Are you saying it doesn't do what Seachem claims "when used as directed"?  Or do you just mean it doesn't work for "fishless" cycling?  (Or something else?)

It doesn't actually allow people to do what they sell it for:

Shake well before use. Turn off UV/ozone. Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 40 L (10 US gallons) on the first day with a new aquarium. Then use 1 capful for each 80 L (20 US gallons) daily for 7 days. Fish and other aquatic species may be introduced at any time as long as dosage is maintained for 7 days.

I've used it a half dozen times, and also there's a mega thread on this subject and Stability was one of the products tested, all of it points to it not actually being a tool to prevent new tank syndrome. I consider it more like Brightwell or Fauna Marin's bacterial supplements - they likely do add bacteria, and helps battle the "bad" bacteria, but it's more of a maintenance tool.

Nothing beats some mature LR in my opinion.

• Like 1

Roll out the red carpet I have at last nitrite 10pm and nitrates that took 4 weeks so once it’s settled I’ll add the macro algae as this is not a reef tank and the fish! Not really excited 🤠

*ppm not pm , you probs guessed that

• Like 1
  • Wow 1