Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How do you go about finding the best mandarin dragonet?

EleMentalBreakdown

EleMentalBreakdown

I have time, patience, and experience so feel comfortable takingbon the research so in a few months a mature tank will be ready.

Only getting one so have to make it count. Just stalking local stores is not successful. 

Advice appreciated! 

19 hours ago, EleMentalBreakdown said:

Just stalking local stores is not successful. 

I'm not clear on the problem.  Are you saying there are no local stores?  Or that the local stores don't carry them?  Or...?

• Agree 1

So are you.looking for one that will already accept frozen food?  Most stores won't put in the time to train a Mandarin to eat frozen foods (it's not usually worth their time).  I believe they hope that the new owner will know that it requires and will provide live food (although not all store employees will emphasize this to a potential buyer).  In addition, most nano tanks won't support a large enough pod population to support a Mandarin, as they will quickly consume the available pods.

Buying live pods to feed them is a costly option, and potentially puts the fish at risk should the supply run out.  Even for individual Mandarin fish which have been trained to accept frozen food, a supply of live pods will usually still be necessary.  A very large tank, with a lot of live rock, that supports a robust pod population, is one option.  The other option is a smaller tank with an attached and very productive pod refugium, which can supply your display tank with enough live pods for your fish.  Finally, you could culture live pods to feed your fish.

Here is a Red Mandarin which is currently in stock:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1723/red-mandarin?pcatid=1723&c=1635+1723&s=ts&r=

However, I would probably go this route:

https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/product-category/saltwater-fish/dragonets/

• Like 1

If your intent is to feed copepods, than your choices are any healthy mandarin you can find.  If you want to feed small pellets, frozen or other options...

Tank bred options which are all ready being raised on these foods are available.  I did have a mandarin for a time I could target feed frozen foods from a pipette.  I lost it when a bubbletip found its way into an overflow and got shredded. 

These fish generally require more feedings daily and still benefit from supplental feedings of live shrimp or pods, and you'll need to closely monitor their intake.  You'll also need to be prepared if they stop accepting dry or frozen foods.  

A healthy pod population is generally the best option.

• 2 weeks later...
EleMentalBreakdown

I am saying that besides just getting lucky, is there a morph known to be most colorful... I have seen "psychedelic" sometimes applied to some individuals. 

I am guessing until we have large captive breeding efforts it's just getting lucky. 

No, I am not looking for something trained on frozen, just wanted to know if there's a better way than returning to the same dozen lfs waiting for a super specimen to arrive 

I would look at ORA or Biota mandarins. If you are shipping, you can ask for one that is feeding on prepared foods - some vendors like Algaebarn really rely on their rep and likely won't lie.

If you are in person, I always ask to see the fish I am buying eat first.

https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/captive-bred/fish/dragonets/ora-blue-mandarin/

Personally, I wouldn't even buy a wild caught mandarin, and especially not for a nano unless it has a huge thriving sump plumbed in.

banasophia

If you are considering getting a mandarin for a nano tank, I recommend researching thoroughly and if you decide to get one, I definitely recommend getting a biota captive bred mandarin from Live Aquaria or Algae Barn. Just keep in mind it will be a lot of work to keep one… the $90 price for the fish is a small fraction of the amount you will spend to keep it. I planned my Biocube 16 around keeping mine and I had him 3 1/2 years. They are tiny when you get them, about 3/4 inch. 

56AF55C9-36C1-422E-9A3B-572293AF11C5.thumb.jpeg.6294d0237d04c32bc3bc2d9e14f1098f.jpeg

• Like 3
23 hours ago, EleMentalBreakdown said:

I am saying that besides just getting lucky, is there a morph known to be most colorful... I have seen "psychedelic" sometimes applied to some individuals. 

I am guessing until we have large captive breeding efforts it's just getting lucky. 

No, I am not looking for something trained on frozen, just wanted to know if there's a better way than returning to the same dozen lfs waiting for a super specimen to arrive 

Have you seen many different types in person?

In general there are a few common types and the ones you see in the store should be fairly representative.

If you can get a healthy one, it should also be a REALLY good looking one.  The traits go together.  🙂  But they don't all come in healthy....shipping and handling can be rough!  😒

Patience is the key – but also make a request if you have something specific you're looking for but which they don't seem to be getting in. 

• Like 1
banasophia

Yea, I’ve seen different types… some do look a bit fancier with longer fins and brighter colors than others. 

• Like 1