Pod Your Reef

Bubble Magus MiniQ - thoughts?

Lebowski_

I'm curious as well. I have the Fluval PS2. It's done fairly well, but I'm tuning it just about every other day. It is very sensitive to the water level, so an ATO is mandatory if you plan to use the PS2 without a lid. Not sure if the Magus would be the same, but I would assume so.

• Like 1

I have the QQ2 in the back of my current tank, I also have a Curve 5 for a bigger tank, I love my curve 5. I like the qq2 alot but it has flaws. Its a good skimmer for what it pulls, but it's tricky to set the depth correctly the sliding clip on the back is rough to adjust when you are looking to get the exact depth right.

The QQ2 also pulls a lot of air, with no air flow control and no water level control. The surface of the foam inside the skimmer is a bit turbulent so its hard to get that really good skimmate out of the tank. I have a couple of mods in mind but they are further down my to do list.

The nano mini q skimmer has a dial on it that controls the water level in the skimmer. I have been checking it out for the middle chamber in my IM10. The problem in the im 10 middle chamber is it is a 3" drop from the glass edge to the water level, I don't know if  that sliding mechanism will go high enough and the water level control combined are enough the get it tuned in correctly. It's a bit of a problem with the QQ2.

On 5/11/2023 at 6:22 PM, phinatic said:

I'm curious as well. I have the Fluval PS2. It's done fairly well, but I'm tuning it just about every other day. It is very sensitive to the water level, so an ATO is mandatory if you plan to use the PS2 without a lid. Not sure if the Magus would be the same, but I would assume so.

A consistent water level is ideal for all skimmers.  👍

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

A consistent water level is ideal for all skimmers.  👍

The tricky part with the skimmer in an AIO is the very tight water basin in the sump. Even slight evaporation of the tank can equate to a large drop in the AIO sump. With a larger sump, this is less volatile. For the Fluval EVO, there is almost no excess water outside of the skimmer itself. It takes up all of chamber 1.

• Like 2

Mine's been running a few days and it's almost working too well - I wanted to just let it break in for 10-14 days while I fight Dinos, but it's pulling out some nasty skimmate. I'm actually just letting it drain out at them moment.

Pretty impressed to be honest. Wasn't expecting much.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kevin_f said:

I'm looking at the same skimmer for an IM 15! 

I’m pretty happy with it so far tbh. Not sure if I made a mistake or something but mine is a bit on the noisy side - not the pump, just the sound of the foam and bubbles.

Sharbuckle

Works great for me! Had one running about 5 months with no issue. Only thing I’ll say is it tends to skim more wet than dry. 

• Like 1