Pod Your Reef

Fluval 13.5 Stocking

_cpate3_

Hi, I am new to reefing as a whole but have done months of research leading up to this point where I buy my first tank!

I got a great deal on facebook marketplace and my specs are:
Fluval evo 13.5 tank
AI Prime 16hd
Upgraded Return Pump
50W heater
Aqamai KPS powerhead
ATO system
Media basket

My dream stocking list is:
2 mochavinci clownfish
sofites and LPS
POSSIBLY shrimp/goby pair
skunk cleaner shrimp
and CUC

I know there is a lot of disagreement as to whether or not a clown pair will be ok in a 13.5 gallon tank. I am planning on having the tank for 5 years before I can upgrade so I am wondering if it is possible to keep 2 clowns that long in a tank that small. Or if it would be better to do 1 clown and another fish like a basslet.

Please be kind as this is my first time posting and I look forward to hearing any tips and feedback!

5 hours ago, _cpate3_ said:

Hi, I am new to reefing as a whole but have done months of research leading up to this point where I buy my first tank!

Fluval evo 13.5 tank
AI Prime 16hd
Upgraded Return Pump
50W heater
Aqamai KPS powerhead
ATO system
Media basket

2 mochavinci clownfish
sofites and LPS
skunk cleaner shrimp
and CUC

I know there is a lot of disagreement as to whether or not a clown pair will be ok in a 13.5 gallon tank. I am planning on having the tank for 5 years before I can upgrade so I am wondering if it is possible to keep 2 clowns that long in a tank that small. Or if it would be better to do 1 clown and another fish like a basslet.

Please be kind as this is my first time posting and I look forward to hearing any tips and feedback!

Looks real good, tbh.

You are right, the Clowns will start to look really cramped, but if you get them young, they will be perfectly happy for a while. People will disagree on if it's enough. Who knows, maybe in 2 years you will change your mind an upgrade early! This hobby is wild like that.

Nothing about your dream stocking list is unreasonable. You should know that softies tend to be a bit mean and will sometimes try to kill off other coral (chemically), so if you do mix, you may want to run some high quality carbon and keep a close eye on the LPS for signs of trouble. Otherwise, they should do very well under that Prime 16!

I'd plan to start like this:

Cycle the tank

CUC - then wait a week or so

Clowns - then wait a week or so

Easy soft coral (there are lots) - then wait a couple weeks

If after that things are looking healthy and are vibin, then the door will be open to adding some tougher things. Be careful with Goby/Shrimp, a lot of the pistols can be mean to other CUC members.

Good luck 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lebowski_ said:

Be careful with Goby/Shrimp

...and also digging under your rock causing it to tip over. Make sure you have solid footing for rocks if you want to avoid squashing coral or scratching your glass.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, _cpate3_ said:

2 mochavinci clownfish

I have the same tank and am going with 2 mocha gladiators. I think they are the same fish. Different common names?

14 hours ago, _cpate3_ said:

Fluval evo 13.5 tank
AI Prime 16hd
Upgraded Return Pump
50W heater
Aqamai KPS powerhead
ATO system
Media basket

2 mochavinci clownfish
sofites and LPS
skunk cleaner shrimp
and CUC

IMO it is better to consider the smallest fish for the smallest tanks.

The fish I see you looking at are mid-sized fish.

Clownfish are only semi-exceptions (ie the disagreement you've noted) because their natural lifestyle is sedentary – using an anemone (or substitute) at a home base, and staying there.  

On that basis alone, one clown can "fit" in a 10 Gallon.....a common "recommendation".  

A Clownfish is still a mid-size fish in a VERY small tank.  

Your display is about 10 gallons....."13.5" with filtration section.

Taking such a small tank beyond one Clownfish is really pushing it – unless you're talking about "smallest fish" like a neon goby, or similar.  What is the sense of inviting problems after all?

For Basslets or more Clownfish, go to at least 20 gallons IMO.  30 Gallons gives these kinds of fish a much better living arrangement.

In a tank this small, IMO, the best bet is to focus on corals, mostly or even totally.  

A pair of clownfish will be fine in 13g tank.  Clowns are low energy and don't require alot of tank, if you can buy tank bred clowns even better.  I've had clowns in a 50g/75g tanks and they seldom left the corner of the tank near a power head until food hit the water.  But I wouldn't add any more fish, I have clowns in 2 tanks of 10g.  If you want 2 get a bonded pair, mixing 2 usually leads to an alpha beta relationship which rarely ends well.

6 minutes ago, SLA10 said:

But I wouldn't add any more fish

True. @_cpate3_ I mentioned that I am adding clowns, but they are the only fish I am after. Other than that, it is CUC and sexy shrimp (part of the crew). Need to keep the bio-load low in that tank and make sure your filter setup is working well. For your goby, most are too big for this tank. Yellow watchman or two spot could possibly work in that sandbed, but the others will outgrow the tank over time.