Top Shelf Aquatics

Should I just glue it to the back wall of my tank?

MLS_Reef

I am super interested in  all of these tanks that have GSP growing all over everything and covering the back wall.

I know nothing about how to accomplish this feat. Everything always seems so simple but the real conversation is in directing corals how or where to grow. 

Has anybody done this or does anyone have tips. I Love blue star polyps and i would like too encase my tank in them.

I attempted this. 

Stuck it to the back wall with superglue but it fell off after a couple of days. 

I had attached it along with the tiny bit of rubble it came on so perhaps it wasn’t the best way to do it, and I should have just stuck the mat to the glass. Or it was just bad luck. 

There was someone several years back that had I think egg crate along back wall and they attached it to the tank?  Then the GSP grew all over and covered the egg crate.  Glass is often too smooth for corals to attach right away; they need a bit more texture.  

2 hours ago, NanoGrant said:

I attempted this. 

Stuck it to the back wall with superglue but it fell off after a couple of days. 

I had attached it along with the tiny bit of rubble it came on so perhaps it wasn’t the best way to do it, and I should have just stuck the mat to the glass. Or it was just bad luck. 

I trimmed a small flap withno rock or rubble and glued it to the back of an old tank and it did spread. I would say in my tank it grew much quicker on the LR but maybe that was light/flow differences. I ended up removing it all and giving it away at fish club meeting.

• Thanks 1

You can just set the frag at the base of the wall. As long as it gets light, it'll spread upward just fine, and will grow into any space it can.

I am also curious what you have. I'd think either blue clove polyps (which will get literally everywhere in your tank- they're pests), or blue-green sympodium, which is much slower-growing than GSP. 

(or you've got a typo.)

On 3/28/2023 at 7:35 PM, MLS_Reef said:

I am super interested in  all of these tanks that have GSP growing all over everything and covering the back wall.

I know nothing about how to accomplish this feat. Everything always seems so simple but the real conversation is in directing corals how or where to grow. 

Has anybody done this or does anyone have tips. I Love blue star polyps and i would like too encase my tank in them.

I currently have some growing on magnetic rocks and onto the back glass of my 75 gallon. I don’t do anything but let it grow.  

The last time mine was growing on the glass it was bulldozed by a turbo and eventually all fell off. 

3D9D9AEF-65E8-4AE4-8959-4B6168065234.thumb.jpeg.bdccf46294d9bf7f100480090336582c.jpeg

• Like 1