Cultivated Reef

Is my torch coral dying?

Cubeguy11

Hello all, 

about 3 weeks ago I purchased a torch coral and for the first few days it was doing great, fully extended and looking beautiful, a few days later I noticed some symptoms in my clownfish and eventually concluded that they have parasites so I treated them daily for 2 weeks with api general cure and seachem focus to bind it to their food. I know that this can annoy corals so when it started to retract its polyps I wasn’t very concerned. However I stopped feeding medicated food yesterday but it’s continuing to shrink and I just noticed a fleshy growth of the side…

help!

parameters:

ammonia = 0 ppm

ph = 8.0

nitrite  = 0 ppm

nitrate = around 2.5 ppm

2C432A17-B499-40DD-8EEC-9BFF717F8A48.jpeg

• Wow 1
On 2/13/2023 at 4:35 AM, rimga123 said:

that big old flat worm and what seems to be its eggs on the coral skeleton is what is killing it. remove the torch coral, dip it as soon as you can and brush off all the eggs.

Ok I was able to do a small freshwater dip for a few seconds last night and 2 big worms came off I ordered a coral dip online and it’s coming in tonight so hopefully everything goes well, I’m also starting to notice some weird stuff on my tubipora as well so I’ll dip both of them.

• Like 1

Ok so the corals have been dipped for about 20 minutes each, nothing can put of either of them but anything that was on them should be dead, I’ll come back with an update in a few days with how they’re doing. Thanks everyone!

NoOneLikesADryTang

Those euphyllia eating flat worms are a pain to deal with. The dip will kill the worms, but not the eggs. The only way to truly get rid of them is to dip all your euphyllia every four or five days for a month. 

2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Those euphyllia eating flat worms are a pain to deal with. The dip will kill the worms, but not the eggs. The only way to truly get rid of them is to dip all your euphyllia every four or five days for a month. 

Hm I’m ok with that but is there some other way? Like potentially getting something that will eat them?

Whats your tank size?

Most nano's are too small for the types of fish that would eat a flatworm that size. 

Perhaps if you have a 20g or larger could have a wrasse or dottyback for a limited amount of time to handle the problem. But they are hard to catch at the end too. They wont be good long term - aggressive fish in a nano.

So better if you can dip them once a week for 3 weeks, that would probably do. Coral rx and stuff works. H peroxide is another option for just the base.

And of course manual removal when you see them. 

Ok I have a 20g so it would probably we difficult to get a wrasse and remove it later so I’ll try just dipping every week, hopefully i can get them off quickly.  🤞 

• Like 1
On 2/15/2023 at 3:06 PM, Cubeguy11 said:

Hm I’m ok with that but is there some other way? Like potentially getting something that will eat them?

Bumblebee snails or hermit crabs might eat up the eggs.  There are probably some other scavenger-ish critters that would be candidates too.  (Not much downside if you try them and it doesn't work.)

2¢  🙂 

Ok so I was away for the weekend and when I got back there were no visible eggs or worms on the coral and the coral itself seems to be doing really well. Should I still dip it it is it safe to just let it be for now?

Sweet. 

Id say your initial 20min dip was probably very effective. 20mins is a long timeframe. I didnt take that into account in my initial response.

I dip for like 5 mins. 

So, you might get differing opinions on this. But id say because you only found two worms (not an infestation) and there's none visible now, chances are you are safe to leave things be. 

Alternatively, another quick dip, (5mins) with a light toothbrushing of the base may help to shake any potential babies or eggs right off it ..and really boost your chances that those pests are not coming back. But irritating corals for little gain isnt always the best move. 

So you gotta make a call if its worthwhile at this time based on your observations and what you know. Was it just two worms? Are you risking an infestation? Have you seen any signs of eggs at any time? 

Either way your doing something right if your corals look good! 

Let us know how things turn out!

1 hour ago, geekreef_05 said:

Sweet. 

Id say your initial 20min dip was probably very effective. 20mins is a long timeframe. I didnt take that into account in my initial response.

I dip for like 5 mins. 

So, you might get differing opinions on this. But id say because you only found two worms (not an infestation) and there's none visible now, chances are you are safe to leave things be. 

Alternatively, another quick dip, (5mins) with a light toothbrushing of the base may help to shake any potential babies or eggs right off it ..and really boost your chances that those pests are not coming back. But irritating corals for little gain isnt always the best move. 

So you gotta make a call if its worthwhile at this time based on your observations and what you know. Was it just two worms? Are you risking an infestation? Have you seen any signs of eggs at any time? 

Either way your doing something right if your corals look good! 

Let us know how things turn out!

I think I’ll probably let It be for now because I really looked at it thoroughly and nothing seems to be on it, if I notice anything weird I will dip it though.

• Like 1