Cultivated Reef

Fragging a cabbage coral

Murphs_Reef

Going to frag this boy in situ, it's a foot down in the tank so about half way in. It's shading out a bunch of hornets, rastas and utter chaos. 

Other than taking scissors to it, any suggestions? Would be good to keep the frags but not over fussy if I loose the bits I remove.. 

Cabbage right in the centre of the picture and for scale that pump on the right is a sow-8, sorry the coral lens don't fit on the pixel 7 pro camera so you looks like a fisheye picture...

PXL_20230107_165239073.jpg

On 1/7/2023 at 11:55 AM, Murphs_Reef said:

Going to frag this boy in situ, it's a foot down in the tank so about half way in. It's shading out a bunch of hornets, rastas and utter chaos. 

Other than taking scissors to it, any suggestions? Would be good to keep the frags but not over fussy if I loose the bits I remove.. 

Cabbage right in the centre of the picture and for scale that pump on the right is a sow-8, sorry the coral lens don't fit on the pixel 7 pro camera so you looks like a fisheye picture...

PXL_20230107_165239073.jpg

Cut it up with scissors or a blade. Place the frags on some rubble rock in a low flow area (like in a basket), and they'll attach fairly quickly. Some people use elastic bands to hold them down, but sometimes the pressure of the elastic causes them to split in half. The slime they produce makes it difficult to glue frags, so I'd avoid trying to glue them to a surface. 

• Like 1
InAtTheDeepEnd

scissors aren't very precise. A single clean neat cut is better. Can you dismantle a razor blade and use that? I've never tried it on a cabbage but have done on mushrooms and zoas. I tried scissors once on a kenya tree and came to regret it! can you put the frag into a breeder box suctioned onto the glass wall of the tank with the rock/plug you want it to encrust on inside? easier to stop it being blown about/ending up where you don't want it that way

I use scissors but I find this is kind of tricky one, they don't attach easily. Need way more time then leather coral to attach to piece of rubble or plug 

They deff do not like glue