Cultivated Reef

Nano Reef in an Eclipse need help

ricknbecky

Don't get too worried about pump placement, because your rocks and other filters are going to effect water flow. It will be very easy to see the water movement and adjust your pump location/direction/flowrate accordingly.

I generally find that two pumps, on the back facing forward with one at each end of the tank works well. Some prefer to have a pump flowing sideways, or to use a spray bar (pump output going through a tube with lots of small holes drilled in it.) Your aquascaping will dictate pump placement.

If you want a mechanical filter as well as a filter with space for chemical media, why not look for one filter that does both? This is just an opinion, but I like to minimize the number of things hanging off the back of a tank. The Hagen "Aqua Clear" filters I mentioned are designed to work with with a sponge block (good for both mechanical & biological filtration) and have space for a relatively large bag of carbon, phosphate media, etc. The manufacturers product info page is:

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.c...=01006000020101

I don't have any experience with Millennium filters, but they look very similar to the Whisper filters that have been popular (especially with freshwater tanks) for a long time. If they're reliable and it's easy to get parts/media, then they aren't bad.

The problem I have with such cartridge-type filters is that it's hard to arrange any add-in media (like phosphate remover, chemi-pure, etc.) in a way that guarantees high flow-through. The Aqua Clear filters use a basket-type arrangement that's much easier to pack with various medias. Sorry to plug a particular product so vehemently, but I really like them!

I have a heavy bias for Rio... I have never had any problems with them, and have been amazed at how long they lasted. They also, IME, have required less maintenance than other brands. I also like Penguin filters (for chemical filtration purposes -you can toss the bio-wheel if you want). They are cheap, and have very reliable pumps.

Archived