Cultivated Reef

Are Zoa corals that toxic/poisonous?

BubbleTrouble

NoOneLikesADryTang

Zoas aren’t particularly dangerous - I’ve fragged hundreds (if not thousands) of Zoas. 

Generally speaking, the uglier the paly, the more toxic it is.

If you’re just planning on putting zoas in your tank, and letting them grow, you’ll be absolutely fine. 

• Like 2
BubbleTrouble
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Zoas aren’t particularly dangerous - I’ve fragged hundreds (if not thousands) of Zoas. 

Generally speaking, the uglier the paly, the more toxic it is.

If you’re just planning on putting zoas in your tank, and letting them grow, you’ll be absolutely fine. 

that is awesome thank you!

• Like 1

If the question is "how toxic?" then the answer is "top echelon toxic".   Palytoxin is gnarly stuff.

If the question is "how dangerous?" then you have to dig a little....there ARE WAYS to be UNSAFE around these polyps.  

Almost all of those ways involve cutting into them, or otherwise disturbing their tissues where the toxins resides.

Having said that, I agree 100% with this:

1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

If you aren't gonna be into fragging or anything else invasive like that, then you aren't going to encounter palytoxin.  Still worth being familiar with!  🙂 

• Like 1