Pod Your Reef

Cheers from Mexico City

ManticoreMx

I just found this forum... and would like to share my experience with the old nano reef I have... I've been in the hobby for 20+ years and keep a nano tank in my office since 2005. It is a JBJ nano cube which I removed canopy some years ago, when the originally installed lamps failed and installed an AI.

This aquarium has gone through several stages and has housed different fish and invertebrates. From the beginning, the tank has a bed of fine sand, about 3 inches or so. A couple of times he has faced old tank syndrome. I believe that the sand bed released some pollutants that have wiped out the population of invertebrates or fish, but I believe that now it is in a fairly good and stable state...

Last year I had the idea of adding macro algae to the main tank, caulerpa racimosa, to see if that would give it more stability. Due to the invasive growth of the algae, I believe that an export of organic pollutants has been achieved. I prune the algae every 15 days, the best I can.

I also installed a dispenser to add the 2-part solution automatically.

The tank currently has the following population:
2 percula clowns
2 peppermint shrimp
1 small filter crab
some turbo snails
2 bubble anemones

As well as some soft corals:
gorgonians
zoanthids
green star polyp

I am sure that I will learn a lot from the participants of this forum.

Thank you

20220329_092125.jpg

20220622_103549.jpg

20220913_122843.jpg

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, ManticoreMx said:

I just found this forum... and would like to share my experience with the old nano reef I have... I've been in the hobby for 20+ years and keep a nano tank in my office since 2005. It is a JBJ nano cube which I removed canopy some years ago, when the originally installed lamps failed and installed an AI.

This aquarium has gone through several stages and has housed different fish and invertebrates. From the beginning, the tank has a bed of fine sand, about 3 inches or so. A couple of times he has faced old tank syndrome. I believe that the sand bed released some pollutants that have wiped out the population of invertebrates or fish, but I believe that now it is in a fairly good and stable state...

Last year I had the idea of adding macro algae to the main tank, caulerpa racimosa, to see if that would give it more stability. Due to the invasive growth of the algae, I believe that an export of organic pollutants has been achieved. I prune the algae every 15 days, the best I can.

I also installed a dispenser to add the 2-part solution automatically.

The tank currently has the following population:
2 percula clowns
2 peppermint shrimp
1 small filter crab
some turbo snails
2 bubble anemones

As well as some soft corals:
gorgonians
zoanthids
green star polyp

I am sure that I will learn a lot from the participants of this forum.

Thank you

20220329_092125.jpg

20220622_103549.jpg

20220913_122843.jpg

:welcome:

Hi @debbeach13If I'm not mistaken I purchased this nano cube 24 gal around 2005. It was one of the first in the market with the premise of an integrated filtration system in the back... Yes, it has stood the test of time.

I recently scraped off the vinyl from the first stage of filtration to create a window through which a mini algae refuge lights up at night...

It also has an ATO system that, from an old bucket, refills the water that evaporates...

I have changed the return pump several times and have done several experiments, to make it a little more automatic.

20221028_130230.jpg

20221006_125009.jpg

• Like 3