Coral Vue Hydros

COB Strip LED's, dimming with Remote Vs. Driver and Potentiometer

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

It's been a while since I've been on the forum. My last reef project failed to launch, but I'm working on designing a room for a new tank and am confused by some of the lighting options I'm exploring.  Internet searches have completely failed me.  So, hoping someone can help fill me in.  I've built two LED projects for lighting reefs and both have used a driver to pair with a potentiometer or controller for dimming.

I'm looking at installing about 60 feet of COB strip lighting and the driver necessary for dimming that much would be in the neighborhood of 96watts+ (I think), plus the pot, a power supply, and a nice analog dial for the potentiometer (something like an inch or two wide, turning smoothly, like a metallic volume knob on a luxury sound system).  Big $$$...

..or... it looks like these strips can also be hooked up to cheap-looking plastic modules with physical remote controls for a fraction of the cost. 

I'm not concerned with saving money on my setup. Frankly, I don't even understand how the cheaper setup with the remote is even possible.  How can these strips dim without a driver unit?

TL:DR, what's the difference between using those cheap remotes that come with LED strips for dimming Vs. hooking up the LED's to a driver and potentiometer?  How can the LED's even dim without a driver??

I attached a couple of screenshots of esssentially the same product. One with a power supply, dimming unit, and remote control, and another just the strips2082854684_ScreenShot2022-09-14at8_31_16PM.thumb.png.1ce43cd77dd44c6ffea437da12836495.png.

715786272_ScreenShot2022-09-14at8_04_01PM.thumb.png.03d866c2778896050addc754bd58bccb.png

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope
8 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

@Reefkid88 ?  you're about the only person left on here I know of that like to play around with building a setup

Yes!  DIY is one of my favorite aspects of reefing.  In what other hobby can you learn to build LED's, drill through glass, and play with rocks (aside from maybe keeping terrariums)?!

Mr. Microscope
8 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Probably,but I don't mess with those strip leds like that. I saw this but didn't add anything since I never mess with them. I am a 3w led kinda guy. 

Me too, usually.

If you just want to know if those dimmers really work, then "yes" they work.  Don't know how.  Current USA's Satellite+ series is set up the same....it even has some "auto" modes that simulate cloud cover, but not a timer or "controller" per se.  You have to use an appliance timer for scheduled ON/OFF.

Strips are powered differently than discreet LED's BTW.   Wish I had a good reference to explain that...

On another note entirely, have you seen the COB setups that have the driver integrated?  They take 120v +/- right to the chip/board.

Mr. Microscope
On 9/18/2022 at 4:57 PM, mcarroll said:

If you just want to know if those dimmers really work, then "yes" they work.  Don't know how.  Current USA's Satellite+ series is set up the same....it even has some "auto" modes that simulate cloud cover, but not a timer or "controller" per se.  You have to use an appliance timer for scheduled ON/OFF.

Strips are powered differently than discreet LED's BTW.   Wish I had a good reference to explain that...

On another note entirely, have you seen the COB setups that have the driver integrated?  They take 120v +/- right to the chip/board.

Thank you for your reply!

I have not seen the COB setups you're talking about.  Link?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 3:08 PM, Mr. Microscope said:

I have not seen the COB setups you're talking about.  Link?

There are other LED formats, but here is an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255223875963?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TINdm5fGTi-&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=jC3xR9TXQBi&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

image.thumb.png.117bb0565d58c147295be19e8cc9fe0f.png

I haven't used one of these (yet) so let me know if you do!  🙂