Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mattie got a 40g

mattie

yup I got a 40g acrylic seaclear used for a great deal and 2 weeks later a friend needed money and sold me almost everything out of his tank for a nice price

so this is what i have

a 40g 36 x 16 x 16 with built in back sump that is supposed to be a wet dry but i filled it with small live rock rubble

i got about 30lbs of good ultra cured live rock

a clown a yellow tang a bicolor goby a fire shrimp a cleaner shrimp 15 hermits a turbo snail a serpent star a 6 inch squasmo clam a large leather some mixed zoo's and polyps and a pavona coral and a large feather duster

the lighting is a 2x 96watt pc hood and the flow is by a mag2 350 gph thru the sump and to aqua clear 301's for flow and i stuck in a seaclone for skimmer action.

i hope the water doesn't cycle to much

but after the move to the new tank everythging opened up even the GSP and the leather which i was expecting to not open up for a few day's

i am really happy whit the slightly bigger not quite nano tank but do not worry my focus is still on my 20g

i love the look of acrlic . i also don't have any money for the aragnite so for now it will be run bare bottom

Very nice, man! I love acrylic as well. What about that play sand stuff sold at home depot? Just heard about it at reef central. They don't sell it in my area tho so I have no personal experience w/ it. It sounds freakin' cheap tho.

Originally posted by cadesun

tang in a 40?  clam under 2x96w PC?

and do ya know something i don't.........

the clam is a squasmo which came from same pc lights and the yellow tang is < 3 inch in a 36inch tank and yellow tangs rarely get bigger than 4 inchs in captivity

I have seen your cool tanks enough at this site and see that you buy some goodies from Chad at ReefScience....One of these days we really need to meet up sometime. I'm not far from you, over in Chapel Hill. Have to frag swap sometime.

Also, I just have to pipe in on the tang comment about them rarely getting past 4 inches in captivity.

Um why do you think that is?

Well, for one because most die before they grow to that size do to improper handling and care.......

The diet of a tang is also hard to mimic in captivity.

Also they love to eat alot so a 40 gallon tank cannot handle such a big bioload as say a 80 gallon can.

We have enough save the tang threads on this board but I got to ask you without trying to be an #######,

Why would you want to keep an animal in captivity that couldn't thrive and grow to their natural size?

Format where is your tank.............

i thought so.....

and where do you get your info? the internet ? it sounds like it....

come back when you fill in the blank spots where the details are supposed to be

this thread is to share with 1000's of nano-reefer's who have seen what i can do with a 20g over the past year and i have no fear of bending the rules but a yellow tang OMG in nature the don't get bigger than 6 inchs thats an inch bigger than a clown your banner say's the rest you jac...ss

I knew one day i would get Flammed but why couldn't it be from people that have really nice tanks with lots of cool stuff that i wish i could have.

i have already removed myself from the tang police, but i just thought i'd let you know that i've seen tangs in the wild that were easily 15" long (it was a caribbean species, but same family, same body type). i've also seen yellow tangs that were easily a foot long in aquariums (home aquaria)

that being said, it looks like he has more space to move around than a lot of tangs that i've seen in larger tanks :)

Mattie,

That looks loads better than your other one, congrats on the deal! I don't see what's so bad about keeping a *single* tang in a 36" tank. That's plenty of room, even for a "cruisy" 6" fish.

Best,

Phil

i hope you mean it looks better than my 15G frag tank cause i thought my 20g was looking really good

ya know i should post some updates on those other tanks soon.

mattie--

nice tank, im sure youll take awesome care of it like the 20. i love that tank.

it is always the newbie dorks that have crappy tanks that like to run thier mouths, strange phenomenon. maybe i could find out some info on that topic on the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with that being said. i have seen some very large tangs in captivity( @ least 12 inches). now they were probably wild caught near that size, but they do get big.

i think that that tank is okay for the tang right now, and im usually a heckler on tangs in smaller tanks. @ least its not in your 20 anymore!!!!!

Originally posted by corey0613

it is always the newbie dorks that have crappy tanks that like to run thier mouths, strange phenomenon.  maybe i could find out some info on that topic on the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup I think we got something there....HA HA HA

yes tangs get big this is a fact... the Naso tang gets to 24" and the blue regal tang aka "dor"i gets to 16".. but the yellow hawaiian sailfin stays smaller like 6 maybe 8 inchs if it gets bigger than 4" i would probably take it out. but i doubt that would happen before i get a bigger tank.

i see a 75 in the future. becouse near me there are so many corals available and they just wont all fit in my 20 and things are growing fast!!!!

I think this tank will be mostly softies and the clam and just a few easy sps things like the monti's

well chad from www.reefscience.com lives 10 minutes from me.. and brian from B&K frags also is a good friend of mine there are 3 lfs near me that have good corals if you go on the shippment day

www.ralieghfishworld.com fishpro's and aquascape

chad from reefscience always has plenty of hard to find corals. i just wish he was cheaper.... but people will pay and i do... :)

ok, you're right about the clam, i should have looked into it before saying anything. but i still think the tang sucks. and yes, i have seen them over 10" in captivity. if you can pull it off in the long run, great, if not, we will all learn something.

gracias for the links :D i'm definitely gonna have to look into them. we have 0 LFS' here in myrtle that carry SPS that are worth buying.

Archived