Pod Your Reef

Clownfish with white stringy poop.

Cubeguy11

Hello everyone, I was about to go to bed when I noticed that my female clown had some white stringy poop attached to her. I have heard that this could be parasites, dietary or one-off. I am currently feeding them frozen mysis shrimp every other day. I was looking to get some advice and see what I should do next. (Sorry for bad image it was the only one I could get)

460C4CB8-F536-4D1E-9F1D-7DB853F8CB14.jpeg

Ok I will definitely try that, also I do have some sinking pellets for omnivores, my LFS told me that mysis is better so I stopped using them but should I try to mix the pellets and the mysis to see what happens?

also I did notice her losing a bit of weight about a month ago, but she is slowly getting it back and I don’t think it’s related.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Cubeguy11 said:

should I try to mix the pellets and the mysis to see what happens?

I would.  A varied diet of quality foods is usually best.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bolo156 said:

I noticed this on one of my clown fish as well and dosed with some PraziPro and it seems to have helped.

In this case, it was probably the mysis shrimps being fed – they come out that color because they go in that color. 😉   They come out stringy because of improper digestion, which is usually from stress (eg new fish) but in rare cases can be from other reasons such as bodily damage (often from handling) or from infection.

As seabass noted, if there were other concurrent symptoms like weight loss, then you'd consider other things like a potential parasite.  

Doing a food change would still be an ideal first step before treating with a medication as long as the fish was still in good overall condition.  (Neither you nor the OP mention any emergency – which is good!)

A food change would provide you a color change in the poo as an indicator (indication of worms would be clear/grey sections in the poo – now visibly identifiable – along with the food), as well as being a good supplement to or replacement for the old diet.  (Color pigments in food, such as carotenoids, are crucial for good nutrition.)

Additionally, a diet change also may overcome any food-pickiness (also common in new fish) that could be associated with the weight loss.  

• Like 1