inTank Media Baskets

Cycling with live bio spheres and ammonia

RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

Soon I will start cycling a new 57g tank. Planning to add some bio spheres to the sump from my existing 20g system for biodiversity. Planning to use Microbacter start XLM and QuikCycl to start the cycle. Should I add the bio spheres after the cycle is complete? I assume the QuikCycl ammonia would damage the beneficial bacteria

if added before the cycle completes, correct? Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, RaymondNoodles said:

I assume the QuikCycl ammonia would damage the beneficial bacteria if added before the cycle completes, correct?

If you limit ammonia to 2 ppm or less, it won't harm the beneficial nitrifying bacteria.  Actually the bacteria will be fine at a much higher concentration, but I'd still limit it to 2 ppm.

16 minutes ago, RaymondNoodles said:

Planning to add some bio spheres to the sump from my existing 20g system for biodiversity.

Any non-bacterial life on these spheres?  If not, don't worry about when you add them.  If there are pods or other non-bacterial life on the spheres, wait until the cycle is complete before seeding your tank with them.

• Like 1
RaymondNoodles

Thank you @seabass. There are some pods visibly swimming around the back chambers near the bio spheres but I'm not sure if any of them have been able to make it inside the filter bags the spheres are in. So I guess I am unsure about any non-bacterial life on the spheres.