Cultivated Reef

Filtration options

BubbleTrouble

BubbleTrouble

Are protein skimmers a necessity? Or would a second filter help out? The humming of my protein skimmer gives me a headache so I'm wondering if there are other options. I have the Fluval 13.5g and the protein skimmer made for it!

Toomanymatts

They function differently.  There are plenty of people that don't use one.  Do you have high Nitrates and Phosphates that you struggle to keep in line?  Maybe try putting it on a timer when you aren't around?

Sturgi_0225

https://isealive.com/products/fluval-evo-13-5-roller-mat-filter-nano-reef-tank?variant=42282641948870

could drop the skimmer and get something like this to help with filtration! 
Skimmers are definitely not necessary many success stories without using them. My current system doesn’t have one and with WC I am able to keep parameters in line. However I’m getting one(deal was too good)  but it will be ran at nights when I’m away from it and don’t have to listen to the noise

In our experience there is not a great skimmer that fits in the Fluval Evo 13.5.  You can easily run without.  Regular water changes, good amount of live rock and smart filtration in the rear.

Toomanymatts
5 hours ago, StevieT said:

In our experience there is not a great skimmer that fits in the Fluval Evo 13.5.  You can easily run without.  Regular water changes, good amount of live rock and smart filtration in the rear.

I'm using the fluval ps2.  It's pulling dark stuff, but I'm not sure if it's enough to lower my nitrates.  I'm going to give it another week another I try something else.  Maybe carbon dose. 

BubbleTrouble
On 8/4/2022 at 9:32 PM, StevieT said:

Okay, I'll keep the water changes regular and watch the tests!!

• 1 month later...

I agree with what has been said above.  Water changes, plenty of bio media (rocks, sand, added material, etc.) is sufficient.  

Water movement to keep things from getting stagnant is good idea as well.  

I recently added one to my 20ish gallon system, more for the fun of it.  Is a reef glass skimmer I got for a good deal.  

I've had my reef going since about 2003 without a skimmer and it's done just fine.  

On 9/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, Superdave said:

I agree with what has been said above.  Water changes, plenty of bio media (rocks, sand, added material, etc.) is sufficient.  

Water movement to keep things from getting stagnant is good idea as well.  

I recently added one to my 20ish gallon system, more for the fun of it.  Is a reef glass skimmer I got for a good deal.  

I've had my reef going since about 2003 without a skimmer and it's done just fine.  

Good to know!! I've seen some people put live rock pebbles in thier in tank filter, have you any experience in that?

20 hours ago, BubbleTrouble said:

Good to know!! I've seen some people put live rock pebbles in thier in tank filter, have you any experience in that?

Adding bits of live rock is almost always beneficial as it adds more places for beneficial bacteria to develop.  Only thing that could occur that is negative is an accumulation of detritus but some like that in their filters.  

In eleven years I didn't use a skimmer, and won't this time. If you have:

1. Sufficient water movement (especially at the surface) and porous rock,

2. Sufficient mechanical filtration, followed by

3. Sufficient chemical filtration (carbon or Purigen or such), followed by

4. Sufficient biological filtration (Matrix or another porous medium)

5. Sufficient water changes,

You're good to go, as long as you don't overstock or overfeed.