ReefCleaners.org

Upgrading Tide PSU

Reefkid88

mitten_reef

i don't see why it wouldn't work.

in fact, i don't see why you couldn't just use the 24V, you'll be able to have up to 8 leds per channel/string (8 leds x 3V assumed per led = 24V).  If you adding leds as separate channels, then the total W rating of your power supply is what you should be looking at.   

for reference, a 48V 120W came standard with a Quad, which has 16 white leds on one channel. 

My simple take on DIY led (there's probably a little more to it than this).  Voltage determines how many leds can be used in a single channel/string.  W is the total power, and dependent on the mA/A rating of your drivers.  you can have as many channels as your total power - and your driver board - will allow. 

I was thinking of doing a simple system with 2-channel, constant-current drivers, on/off controlled via app-controlled outlets.  But then again, it stopped at just thinking, lol.           

57 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

i don't see why it wouldn't work.

in fact, i don't see why you couldn't just use the 24V, you'll be able to have up to 8 leds per channel/string (8 leds x 3V assumed per led = 24V).  If you adding leds as separate channels, then the total W rating of your power supply is what you should be looking at.   

for reference, a 48V 120W came standard with a Quad, which has 16 white leds on one channel. 

My simple take on DIY led (there's probably a little more to it than this).  Voltage determines how many leds can be used in a single channel/string.  W is the total power, and dependent on the mA/A rating of your drivers.  you can have as many channels as your total power - and your driver board - will allow. 

I was thinking of doing a simple system with 2-channel, constant-current drivers, on/off controlled via app-controlled outlets.  But then again, it stopped at just thinking, lol.           

Okay,cool. Because I am getting a DIY light from a dude on R2R that has a nice size heatsink and was thinking of taking my center 2 bulbs out of my t5 eventually and putting royals on 1 channel,violets/uv on one,whites on one and cyan,cool blue,mint on another. Add some ldd's since my tide has like 2-3 open slots and a new harness for the controller. 

The light has a bunch of 3ups but hasn't given me an idea of what colors they consist of so I will test them all individually when I get the light. 

mitten_reef

What do you want/need? Lol 😂 I can probably find something semi-useful on my fish tank supply shelves.  Pm me your number and I’ll see if I can round up some stuff and text you a pic