inTank Media Baskets

buying a shrimp goby pair

Amnemonemomne

Amnemonemomne

for those who have bought a pair or a shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp separate, how much did it cost you? I went to my LFS and they listed a pistol shrimp (zebra tiger pistol shrimp) for $70 which made me a little startled at the price. Is that price reasonable or should i buy the shrimp somewhere else?

less than bread

Way too high and they tack on the "Zebra" part to make it sound rarer than it actually is. "Zebra Tiger..." yeah we get it... it has stripes, don't need to name it after 2 striped animals... It's just a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. About $35 in the Minneapolis area.

I bought my yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp as a pair for $40. This was around 3-4 years ago. Today, I would say anything over $60 for a pair, you're probably paying too much. 

• Thanks 1
Amnemonemomne
20 hours ago, Tired said:

That's way too high. They're around $20-30 in Central TX, from what I've seen.

i'm in CA so i don't know whether each states prices vary

20 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

That seems really high. I think at most LFS here (Phoenix area) they’re $25-35. 

NoOneLikesADryTang

They should be similar to Arizona. Most of the wholesalers are there in California, so shipping is negligible, if at all.  If you’re in the LA area, check out Ellis Aquatics. They have great prices on livestock. 

• Thanks 1

State prices are going to vary to some extent, but $70 is 2-3 times the price in other states. It's not gonna vary THAT much, not in the continental US. For that price, you could buy a tiger pistol shrimp online and pay for overnight shipping, possibly with a little left over. 

• Like 1
On 6/22/2022 at 2:18 PM, Amnemonemomne said:

for those who have bought a pair or a shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp separate, how much did it cost you? I went to my LFS and they listed a pistol shrimp (zebra tiger pistol shrimp) for $70 which made me a little startled at the price. Is that price reasonable or should i buy the shrimp somewhere else?

Not sure if by zebra they mean a more rare pistol, something like this pic. However, a poster said this shrimp KILLED several of their fish. I don't think there is much info about them so I would avoid. 

If they did mean that, and not just "this is a tiger pistol but we're trying to make it sound fancier", it still shouldn't cost that much. Rare or not, a pistol shrimp that has to be kept in its own tank probably shouldn't cost 2-3 times as much as a tiger pistol.