Coral Vue Hydros

Coral ID

Morpheus77

Morpheus77

Bought this from a coral store in Houston bout a year ago, it was a frag, and it has started to spread quite a bit, but has lost some of its dark green color, and can't remember what it is. Need help ID'ing it to see how to properly care for it. TIA.

20220609_180154.jpg

20220609_180201.jpg

Palythoa. They are very easy to care for - give them moderate flow and low-medium lighting. They also grow very quickly. Yours appear to be somewhat closed up. Just an FYI, they contain 'palytoxin' which can be harmful if not respected. I'd wear gloves when handling the coral, and absolutely don't eat one 😉

• Like 1

YES! That's it!! Ty! I remember now. Been closed up like that for awhile. Recommend anything for it? You can check out my "2.5 Issues" in the general forum for params. Like maybe reef roids, or some other energy source??

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Morpheus77 said:

YES! That's it!! Ty! I remember now. Been closed up like that for awhile. Recommend anything for it? You can check out my "2.5 Issues" in the general forum for params. Like maybe reef roids, or some other energy source??

I checked out your thread, personally I'd just wait and see how the coral reacts. Given the high nitrates, the coral closing up would be a typical response. I wouldn't bother feeding the coral given the tanks high nutrient level. Keep doing water changes to reduce nutrients, and I'm sure the Palythoa will open up over time. They are extremely resilient. 

• Thanks 1

Green button Paly, good light and proper water quality (some nitrate/po4 but not too much) and it should eventually get more green again 🙂