Coral Vue Hydros

Bristle star in 13g yay or nay?

mje113

Just got an excellent looking 15lb box of LR from KP Aquatics... down to the last rock to add but there's a black bristle star on it... I could do without the rock but it is a decent looking shape. Not sure if I should just consider this a good hitchhiker or could it cause me issues down the road?

looks to have spiny arms, very dark if not black. It's not particularly big either. Happy for any advice!

I left mine in my tank (40 breeder) and haven't seen them since, haha.  I'd say leave it for now.  I think it is only supposed to be the green or red ones that get big enough to eat fish, so it shouldn't be a huge problem, and if it becomes one you can always take it out later?  Or if you've got a sump/'fuge, toss it in there to see if it gets huge?

Does it look like this?  https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/brittle-starfish/

20200423_174435_resized.jpg

With legs potentially growing to 6" long, it might be a little large for a 13 gallon tank.  Not so much for the sea star, but for its potential prey.  Although I'm not sure if it could pose a threat to other livestock (like small perching fish).  But I think, in general, they are considered reef safe.

Personally, I think it's an interesting hitchhiker.  I'd probably keep it for now.  Maybe re-home it, if it gets very large.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Does it look like this?  https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/brittle-starfish/

20200423_174435_resized.jpg

With legs potentially growing to 6" long, it might be a little large for a 13 gallon tank.  Not so much for the sea star, but for its potential prey.  Although I'm not sure if it could pose a threat to other livestock (like small perching fish).  But I think, in general, they are considered reef safe.

Personally, I think it's an interesting hitchhiker.  I'd probably keep it for now.  Maybe re-home it, if it gets very large.

Mostly looks like that... hard to get a good view after I initially scared it back into it's hole. I did put it in the tank and have noticed the ends of its arms sticking out here and there and under lights and closer inspection it does look like there's some banding, light and dark.

I imagine it'll be alright.  I lost one to having large rocks placed directly on top of a sand bed.  The sea star would burrow under the rock for shelter; and one day, the rock dropped down on top of the star. :sad:  My lesson learned was to place the rock on the bottom of the tank, then add the sand bed.

• Sad 1

Now I think I may be seeing two of them... or it just has long arms and I don't understand the structure of the rock work. I was a tad nervous at first, but now I'm pretty happy with the decision.

On another topic, this KP Aquatics Premium Live rock is amazing! Almost completely encrusted in coralline algae, feather dusters everywhere, bits of coral and macro algae. Lots of pods, little shrimp and other unidentified critters. Now I just need to figure out the best scape...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I didn't get the premium last time because I was still cycling my tank, but you're making me want to get a box of the good stuff now!  Glad you're enjoying it, though.  If your rock is like mine you'll still be finding new things months from now.  I hope they're all good for you ❤️

12 minutes ago, Riona said:

I didn't get the premium last time because I was still cycling my tank, but you're making me want to get a box of the good stuff now!  Glad you're enjoying it, though.  If your rock is like mine you'll still be finding new things months from now.  I hope they're all good for you ❤️

Thanks! I think my only regret at the moment is getting 15 vs 10lb. Putting all the rock in is resulting in a bit of a big "wall" rockscape, while I was shooting for a more open "pile of rocks" form. I know I don't need to use all the rock but feel wasteful dumping any in the trash.

ECF10F85-FCEF-4AA5-BFD0-9875B3F04330.jpeg

• Like 1

I think it looks pretty good. It could have a more interesting shape, but it's entirely workable right now. 

You could always give an extra piece to your LFS, or see if anyone locally would like a chunk of it. That's good rock, I'm sure someone would love a piece. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1