Coral Vue Hydros

Why the algae outbreak? I don't think it's nutrients!

Dave MN Nano

Dave MN Nano

1.5 year old tank. Just getting over my 2nd algae outbreak. Green hair algae I believe. Why did this happen? I know what you are going to say. "You have a nutrient problem" but I don't think I do? I monitor and even control this very closely. My nitrates have not been outside of the range of 2.5 - 5 ppm and my phosphates have always been 0.04 - 0.08 ppm.  I have the Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LED lights mounted about 4" above the tank running the recommended interval 7.5 hours on plus 1.5 hour sunrise and 1.5 hour sunset. My tank is 12" deep so my par is between 50 and 200 depending on which rock you are talking about.

My first algae outbreak was more than 6 months ago. I killed it with Vibrant. This time I am using ReefFlux (fluconazole) and it's working slowly. I am about 5 weeks into the treatment and it is dying.

Why am I getting algae outbreaks at all?????

Hi Dave,

good question and an interesting one. How to get a grip on this? Can you get a confirmed ID on the algae type? Once we have this, we could ask some marine biologist (or experts in some algae forums) about what this type requires to grow best. Light? Certain nutritions? Other known parameters?

I don't know about the additions you use for treatmemts. But if they are successful, what is it they are blocking exactly to hinter the algae from growing. This might also give a glue on what is happening.

TheKleinReef
On 3/13/2022 at 8:51 AM, Dave MN Nano said:

My nitrates have not been outside of the range of 2.5 - 5 ppm and my phosphates have always been 0.04 - 0.08 ppm. 

tested parameters are only a piece of the puzzle. Since algae is also consuming these nutrients, along with others, the true amount is almost hidden.

The algae could be consuming some portion, then your test kit is measuring the remainder. I had a similar algae issue with 0.03 to 0.06ppm phosphate.  On paper that's "ideal" but clearly it wasn't.

31 minutes ago, bluewhale said:

Can you get a confirmed ID on the algae type?

I also agree with this. different algaes require different solutions.

• Like 1
jcrisman2009
On 3/13/2022 at 9:51 AM, Dave MN Nano said:

1.5 year old tank. Just getting over my 2nd algae outbreak. Green hair algae I believe. Why did this happen? I know what you are going to say. "You have a nutrient problem" but I don't think I do? I monitor and even control this very closely. My nitrates have not been outside of the range of 2.5 - 5 ppm and my phosphates have always been 0.04 - 0.08 ppm.  I have the Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LED lights mounted about 4" above the tank running the recommended interval 7.5 hours on plus 1.5 hour sunrise and 1.5 hour sunset. My tank is 12" deep so my par is between 50 and 200 depending on which rock you are talking about.

My first algae outbreak was more than 6 months ago. I killed it with Vibrant. This time I am using ReefFlux (fluconazole) and it's working slowly. I am about 5 weeks into the treatment and it is dying.

Why am I getting algae outbreaks at all?????

Could it by chance possibly be bryopsis??