ReefCleaners.org

Bluewhale's NanoReef

bluewhale

Hi there,

I joined this forum yesterday. Very nice idea with the journal here! So I will start to document my reef journey here as well, but allow me to do a little timewarp 😉

I've being an aquarist since the age of 16 starting with freshwater. 2012 then, when things were more settled I started with the seawater experience and this the view from the very beginning:

image.thumb.png.8002407583b6a17dbb86a674a29ba2c9.png

Now we do a little timewarp to Feb. 2022 and have a look at it now:

MyReef2022Feb.thumb.jpg.e712839eabdf81ac4de6526cf2cbd193.jpg

The Euphyllia on the left side with the nice fighting tentacle deployed is my third try on this coral. All others attempts with Euphyllia have been dissolved. This time I managed to keep it half a year now and she is growing - very slowly but growing. On the right side you can see my newest experiment. I ordered california red mangrove torpedo seed as I have seen it on another reef picture and it was looking so cool. This experiment is a success so far, she builds nice roots and a new stage of leaves are coming every 2 months or so. 

I have some hermits strolling around, a single P. kauderni (was a couple but one vanished since 3 days 😞 ) and one Stenopus hispidus shrimp which I bought because I found it so beautiful, unfortunatly she decides to hide within the reef all day long and comes out very shy at night.

• Like 8
35 minutes ago, bluewhale said:

Hi @DNR88,

Uh, too much abbreviations (says an IT-Guy 🙄) What does FTS stands for (sorry).

Haha, I'm an IT-guy as well and know what you mean. 😉

FTS means Full Tank Shot.

I had guessed something like Full Tank Specification (with list of all inhabitants etc...). As the lighning is in sun-set mode now, I will see to grab a picture before leaving to work tomorrow 😉

• Like 1
michael_cb_125

You have a very nice setup my friend.

I love the simplicity of coral selection, your placement of corals was perfect for allowing growth.

I LOVE mature systems such as this, so much more appealing than a tank full of neon nickles...

22 hours ago, michael_cb_125 said:

I LOVE mature systems such as this, so much more appealing than a tank full of neon nickles...

Thanks a lot. To be honest, I'm always a bit jealous on the neon nickles ones, but I had difficulties to maintain the environment to keep the colors, so I'm very proud on the purple blue ones in the middle section 🙂 they are spreading very well at the moment. Also it was always a question of budget to buy the neon nickles. In Germany they are quite expensive. I was in the store three days ago. A small fragment of Gonipora was available for 59€ so there is another kind of natural selection responsible for the setup 😉 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just for the records. Today something totally unexpected happened. At the moment I'm keeping two kauderini and they, as neither any other fish I had, was successfully feeding on dry flakes or pellets. I always hat to feed them on frozen artemia or lobster eggs. I still was offering a portion of flakes from time to time.

Today they were feeding suddenly on the flakes the first time. I never thought this would happen. But what the heck was changing their mind? The only thing I have changed the day before was adjusting the light spectrum after some expert reading. Coincidence? Or does the light setting effect they way they see flakes and influences their appetite  🤔

Anyway I'm happy that I can add flakes to their diet now.

• Like 2