Pod Your Reef

Setting up a cooling fan system for an Evo 13

ECLS Reefer

ECLS Reefer

Hi all. I recently added in a UV light with internal pump into my AIO chambers on the Evo 13g AIO system, and it’s made keeping the temp regulated a bit challenging. I currently am using an InkBird wifi capable, dual controller for a cooler and heater and figure it’s a good time to get a chiller fan set up on it. But my question is- how do most people mount them on the tank, and is there a separate stand that can be rigged to hold them if not using the tank glass? Ideas for mounting the fans to the wall or a stand would be appreciated.

Pondering buying this setup:

A41F6B9E-13EA-4D01-82E2-21D0D02968B3.png

NoOneLikesADryTang

We have those fans (or something very similar) on a couple of our tanks. Once they die, I won’t buy them again. They’re super noisy, and a pain to clean. They do clip right to the rimless tank glass, and we’ve never tried mounting them in any other way. I’d look at other desktop fans to see if you can find something that’s easier to mount (and it’ll probably be quieter). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix

I had one that looked similar to this (just a different brand) :

ReSun Aquarium Cooling Fan, Pet Supplies, Pet Accessories on Carousell

Was surprisingly powerful, relatively silent and could lower the tank temp of my previous 10G nanocube by 2'C to 3'C. You do have to occasionally clean the the vent section to prevent it from being clogged up by dust/dirt. I just used to wipe it down with a dry paper towel. 

Only downsides is that your evap. rate will be quite high, and this is a hang-on type (you can hang it on at the back of the tank, to keep it hidden though). 

Mine lasted several years. I can't recall the exact brand, but for the price I paid, I thought it was okay. Maybe try hunting around for something similar (?) if you're keen? 

Gotta admit that the model in the pic you posted is definitely noisy, like NoOneLikesADryTang has mentioned. Have used it once - never again. 😕 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer

So, problem solved. I remembered I have several single, silent cooling fans sitting around in the garage from the attempts at growing photo, and I grabbed one of those to repurpose as a chiller on the Evo. Plugged it into that little InkBird and it started spinning away, and turned off appropriately when I adjusted the settings. So bonus for me-didn’t have to spend any money at all!

• Like 4