Coral Vue Hydros

Syncra not so "silent"

Superdave

Got my first one of these (1.0) other day and while it seems like a wonderful designed, well made pump it is not very quiet.  I thought perhaps it was rattling in the chamber of my UNS60A, but when I took it out and placed in a plastic container in the kitchen sink and held it so as to not let pump touch anything else, it is still fairly noisy.  

Maybe because I am dialing down the output?  When I went back to the stock pump, it was quieter.  

Anyone feel the "silent" aspect of syncra is a bit overstated?  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for response.

Oh I totally get the "silent" is just marketing.  It is just far nosier than most pumps I have used.  

Stock pump is a Dymax and it is much quieter.  Eheims I have used in the past are literally silent; might try one of those.  

I went for a Tunze silence pump, because my stock waterbox pump was super noisy and the sicce wasnt any better. And I can honestly say that its the most quiet pump i have ever seen (hear?), i would literally need to put my ear to the tank glass to hear it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rimga123 said:

I went for a Tunze silence pump, because my stock waterbox pump was super noisy and the sicce wasnt any better. And I can honestly say that its the most quiet pump i have ever seen (hear?), i would literally need to put my ear to the tank glass to hear it.

Wow--I wish that was the case with one I have.  I can hear mine from across the room.  

Sorry--way I responded made it confusing.  

I have a Syncra silent 1.0 (hence title of post) and it is quite noisy.  

10 minutes ago, rimga123 said:

Bin your sicce

I will probably never buy another sicce product.

The price point and seemingly promising reviews make this really surprised, but based upon my limited (single product) experience, I am very much moving on to something else!

5 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Did you take it apart and reassemble? I had a noisy one once, and I did that, and it was much quieter for me. 

Yes, did all of that and no change at all.  

4 hours ago, MrP said:

It likely just needs to be broken in. I have a Sicce 1.5 on my 40g all-in-one which took a few weeks to break in and become silent. 

Interesting.  I guess I could place it in a bucket and let in run.  

Tunze, Since and Lifeguard's "Quiet One" pumps are all (apparently) made by Sicce, BTW.  All are very quiet when running, assuming there are no issues such as a broken pump or bad installation.

If you are having issues with noise, first check that the pump or plumbing isn't vibrating.  If either one is vibrating, then you know you have one or both problems.  If it's the plumbing, sometimes it's best to use a short section of soft vinyl tubing to connect the pump to your main (rigid) plumbing.

If you still feel or hear in vibrating when running in a bucket by itself, then there's a problem with the pump.  Disassemble the pump and examine all the parts, especially the impeller.  If you don't find any problems, you should be able to put it back together and run it silently.

If that doesn't help, you should either contact Sicce or the retailer to help you out.

It's not normal for any pump like this to be noisy, BTW....not even cheapie pumps....they are inherently quiet by design.  Check out this article.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Tunze, Since and Lifeguard's "Quiet One" pumps are all (apparently) made by Sicce, BTW.  All are very quiet when running, assuming there are no issues such as a broken pump or bad installation.

If you are having issues with noise, first check that the pump or plumbing isn't vibrating.  If either one is vibrating, then you know you have one or both problems.  If it's the plumbing, sometimes it's best to use a short section of soft vinyl tubing to connect the pump to your main (rigid) plumbing.

If you still feel or hear in vibrating when running in a bucket by itself, then there's a problem with the pump.  Disassemble the pump and examine all the parts, especially the impeller.  If you don't find any problems, you should be able to put it back together and run it silently.

If that doesn't help, you should either contact Sicce or the retailer to help you out.

It's not normal for any pump like this to be noisy, BTW....not even cheapie pumps....they are inherently quiet by design.  Check out this article.

Have done all of the above (in terms of trouble shooting) so will reach out to Sicce to see if they want to do something.  I bought the pump from someone here on nano-reef so I do not have the original receipt.  

Yours almost certainly has a messed up impeller, probably out of balance causing it to vibrate and rub against the housing. Straight out of the box it should be dead silent and you shouldn't be able to hear it at all - not even humming. I've got the 2.0 on my 50g and I've got it isolated by suspending it from the return plumbing with a foot of silicone tubing and you literally can't tell if it's on or off with your head under the tank. If you hear anything when you turn it on other than the sound of water moving, something is wrong with the pump.

1 hour ago, StevieT said:

If the impeller is in good condition and installed correctly let the pump "break in"

Not necessarily - it may visually look in good condition, but if it's out of balance it's never going to "break in", it'll only get worse.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jservedio said:

Not necessarily - it may visually look in good condition, but if it's out of balance it's never going to "break in", it'll only get worse.

Then the impeller is not in good condition

• Like 1