Cultivated Reef

Help me ID

ryans.salty.crew

ryans.salty.crew

Hello, 

I’m a new guy with a old tank. The rock and tank have been up and running for a few years at a friends house, he decided it was time to get rid of it for a 20g nano.

I have these black looking “egg like” things on 2 parts of my rock that I need help identifying. Should I be worried? B14E480E-DD6B-4931-A683-C45702DFBC6E.thumb.jpeg.a244f66145863b1ee3449f4adddd5e8f.jpeg

First post and hoping this site has some answers for me! 

Thank you

NoOneLikesADryTang

Hi! Welcome to NanoReef! 

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but I think it might be bubble algae. Google it and see if it looks like what’s in your tank, or take another picture with more white lighting, and we may be able to get a better ID for you. 

• Like 2
ryans.salty.crew
15 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Hi! Welcome to NanoReef! 

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but I think it might be bubble algae. Google it and see if it looks like what’s in your tank, or take another picture with more white lighting, and we may be able to get a better ID for you. 

That is exactly what it is!

Will adding more flow to my tank help prevent bubble algae?

Thank you so much for your time. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
16 minutes ago, 10g4Me said:

That is exactly what it is!

Will adding more flow to my tank help prevent bubble algae?

Thank you so much for your time. 

No, unfortunately bubble algae is kind of a tough pest algae to eliminate. Some people have had success with emerald crabs eating it. I’ve never had much luck with them. 

Manual removal is another option. It’s usually my go to. You can usually gently pry the bubble algae off the surface it’s attached to, and pull it out of the tank. 

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Manual removal is ideal, do it outside of your tank even, if you can remove that rock temporarily. Popping one of the bubbles is bad, as it will help it to spread throughout the tank. Avoiding this is difficult though, some bubble algae get well rooted, while most are easily dislodged intact. If you can’t remove the rock, removing the bubble algae during a water change with the siphon going is the next best option. 

• Like 3
ryans.salty.crew
16 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Manual removal is ideal, do it outside of your tank even, if you can remove that rock temporarily. Popping one of the bubbles is bad, as it will help it to spread throughout the tank. Avoiding this is difficult though, some bubble algae get well rooted, while most are easily dislodged intact. If you can’t remove the rock, removing the bubble algae during a water change with the siphon going is the next best option. 

Great tip. I do water 30% - 40% water changes every 2 weeks. I'll take it out then.

• Like 1