Pod Your Reef

What is this strange fungus looking thing?

jefferythewind

jefferythewind

i first noticed it growing on the skeleton of a green montipora which died suddenly a couple months ago. Now I notice a couole pieces growing on the back wall. Looks like some kind of mushroom.

7A1D6198-F087-4362-9979-438E3C05CC7B.jpeg

F56D6F42-8FC1-416B-B507-48BDA3E97BD7.jpeg

It looks like brown jelly disease to me. This isnt usualy the texture that I think of when picturing brown jelly disease but I have seen plenty of photos online showing it with the same translucent bubble like texture as it destroys the coral. Being that it's on the coral skeleton its probly what killed it or it developed on the dying tissue. Brown jelly kills prety quickly lps and sps are suseptable to it. Its opportunistic and frequently hits damaged or stressed corals but it can spread. I would use a vac to remove it and suck it out the tank or if possible remove what it's on and give it a good cleaning outside the tank in a bucket of sw with a brush or something to scrub it off.

• Like 1

The brown jelly would be the actual tissue of the coral that has been affected and is breaking down. In a tank with a reasonable amount of flow, I would expect it to be washed from the affected coral’s skeleton within a short while of appearing so that one is left with a bare skeleton of the affected coral. 

Can you siphon the ‘brown jelly’ out, bearing in mind that if the tissue comes into contact with other LPS/SPS it could cause them to become affected as well.

If you can’t siphon it off then I’d suggest it’s maybe a species of a of algae, perhaps more so if it’s started ‘growing on the back wall’ rather than washing off a dead/dying coral.

Interested in what you conclude. 🙂

• Like 1
jefferythewind

So I went in today to get rid of that stuff and I have to say I think it went well. Those dead pieces of monti that it was growing on broke away easily, and many zoas were attached, so I came away with 2 nice zoa frags after cutting away all the crap. One of them is probably about 20-30 heads on a piece of coral skeleton. The light went off so I will take pics tomorrow.

Also, breaking away these sections of dead coral has made a lot of space for the surviving part of the green monti which is now growing back really well.

The pieces of that algae stuck to back wall broke away easily and I sucked them out. After looking closer I think it is kind of algae. Has air bubbles in it. 

jefferythewind

I guess the pictures look like crap, but you can see here I got a nice chunk of the old monti with a bunch of zoas on it, and as well you can see the green monti that died is actually coming back really strong. Clearing away some of the dead skeleton is giving it room to grow, it looks like. 

8C5CF1C0-63AE-4D0D-AC08-8B592C825C12_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c3e6dbddf111f1847f5ff06582025237.jpeg64B4738F-3720-4F74-B97D-2983A26458E0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8db286bfb1aca65f70f56767f6225791.jpeg

jefferythewind
45 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I wish I had such luck with plating monti’s! Mine don’t seem to go anywhere.

Sorry to hear, Yeah this green monti has just grown great since entering the tank. Its hard to tell, i have 2 other montis that grow but not this fast.