Cultivated Reef

Bubble Algae in new tank?

Tryp72

Hi,

I have had an 8 gallon tank up for 2 months now.  I just found what I think is bubble algae on the base of aa frag plug that was dipped an added about a month ago.  This is the only place I see it in my tank.  If this is indeed bubble algae, what is the best way to deal with it?  My phosphates are running 0.5 and nitrate is 9ppm.  I am cutting down on the amount I am feeding my tank which consists of only 1 goby and the rest inverts and coral.  Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_8418.jpeg

NoOneLikesADryTang

It looks like bubble algae. 

I would gently peel it off and remove from the tank. Unfortunately, you probably have it elsewhere, that you haven’t seen yet. Some people have had success with eradicating it with emerald crabs. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Tryp72 said:

appreciate the responses.  Its on a firework clove polyp frag.  are those safe to dip in a 50/50 hydrogenperoxide solution?

To be safe, I would use a syringe and spot treat the algae, the polyps should retract so it shouldn't be that hard. You could also take the plug out and scrap the algae off with a dental pick. And just syringe the spot where it was on the frag to kill any spores the bubble might release.

• Like 2

The bubble algae are generally firm balls.  I was told to flick them off like a dried bugger.  You want to be careful not to burst them though. If you break one, have to rinse it thoroughly with some tank water to remove all the spores from inside bursted bubble.  

I've removed a few and had one or two burst on me in the process.  Be prepared with some fresh mixed saltwater or tank water to clean frag just in case.  Most of my bubble algae come off whole without incident, but not all of them. 

Your peroxide will probably kill what's on base, but if you have any on the coral head that can't get dipped in peroxide, the salt water will give you next best defense. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your help.  I was able to remove the frag and then scrape the bubbles off the base of the coral.  I then used 3% hydrogen peroxide to treat the areas on the frag that had the bubble algae.  

IMG_8421.jpeg

• Like 3