SaltCritters.com

10 gallon fish

DiaryReef

I have a 10 gallon tank, with a netted lid so fire fish are out of the question(as well as any jumpers), I want a nice active fish that will do well alone and won’t bother my coral(when I start adding them)

7 minutes ago, CosmicFog said:

I have a 10 gallon tank, with a netted lid so fire fish are out of the question(as well as any jumpers), I want a nice active fish that will do well alone and won’t bother my coral(when I start adding them)

10 is tiny if having fish is a big priority.  You're gong to be limited to small, small fish....many of the popular ones are very active jumpers.

A "netted lid" sounds pretty secure though.....you think (e.g.) filefish would jump through it?  (Pics?)

• Like 1

I've got one in a 10 gallon with Clownfish.  He's very active swims the entire tank all day long and swims in and out of corals and the base of the rock. 

The only quark is that he likes to dig the sand around the rocks to find more crevaces to swim around and I think he sleeps down there.  He used to knock over corals in the sand so I had to get coral frag holders for my sandbed frags.  Doesn't bother any coral directly, just what gets in the way when he's moving the sandbed around.

IMG_20220110_192410.thumb.jpg.3db934641825810962b14ad707c03dca.jpg

Also, He's largely a mid range to bottom swimmer, but will swim the entire tank. 

Cheap fish

Curious personality

Hardy

Active swimmer

• Like 2

How large are the holes in the mesh? Them being too large excludes a lot of good candidates. 

Your best bets are mostly small gobies and blennies. If you can find a goby or blenny that's 2" or under at full size, it should work. If you get species that won't squabble (i.e. do not get two shrimpgobies), you could have two tiny fish, if you improved the lid. An antenna goby, a candycane pistol shrimp, and a clown goby would be good. 

12 hours ago, mcarroll said:

10 is tiny if having fish is a big priority.  You're gong to be limited to small, small fish....many of the popular ones are very active jumpers.

A "netted lid" sounds pretty secure though.....you think (e.g.) filefish would jump through it?  (Pics?)

B55C179E-24C6-43E6-9CBB-2EF6F1FB165F.png

• Like 1

might not be a bad idea swap the mesh out, if possible. It's not too hard.

The IM tops are super nice but the holes are a bit big.

Some of the smaller wrasses might not be able to make it through. pygmy, possum, pink streak.

I'd suggest just getting 1/4" mesh, or 1/8" if you can find it, and adding a layer of that. No need to replace the existing mesh if that's difficult, just overlap it. As it is, all the tiny gobies and whatnot will make it through that lid.