Pod Your Reef

Quiet wavemakers

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

Can anyone recommend a genuinely quiet (as in as near as possible to silent as you can get) wave maker please?

Looking for adjustable output, around the 1000-3000 l/HR mark. 

Does anyone have any experience with the jebao R4? 

Most of the submersible wavemakers/powerheads I've seen of almost every type are basically silent, with the exception being ones with damaged plastic, which aren't assembled completely, or which have some thing hard encroaching on the moving parts, so I don't think that will be much of a concern.  It definitely happens with pumps, but I think the much lower pressure operation means it's much less likely for a powerhead.

No experience with the Jebao, but the Nero 3 is well regarded and would probably suit some of your flow range.  It may be tricky to find a fully programmable 1000l/hr pump just because they don't make as many really small ones.

• Like 2

Of the ones I’ve had I can tell you, the basic koralia powerheads are very silent. The MP10 is very quiet, you can hear a subtle hum if you’re right next to the tank. The jebao RW-4 has the most noticeable hum of the ones I’ve used. I plan on going with the Nero’s next. I’ve heard good things. 

Are you actually looking for variable flow, or just a powerhead?

Variable flow is either going to be a wavemaker controller and a powerhead or two, or a programmable pump, and neither option is particularly cheap, generally speaking.

If you're just looking for flow, an AC fixed option should be a lot cheaper, and something like a smaller Koralia Evolution is a fairly inexpensive option.  Plenty of people have used Jebao pumps before, so while I can't vouch for them, there should be reviews and things around, and they're generally known for being good value for their price.

InAtTheDeepEnd

Would it be bad if I said I have no idea? 😂 I need some water movement, and before I was just using a pump I commandeered off an old sponge filter I wasn't using. But it wasn't really giving the turnover I wanted and ended up being noisy. I bought a 1000 - 3000l/HR wavemaker to replace it but again it was noisy (buzzing and vibrating against the glass). If it hadn't been noisy I would have kept it, it gave me the results I was looking for. 

Ye, If I were you, I would go for a ~400-500l/hr pump. This should be good enough in a 5.5 gallon with zoanthids and green start polyps. If not, you could still add your sponge filter pump and end up with a ~30x turnover.

Maybe a more experimented reefer like @seabass could come and give its input? I am still new in the game 😉.

I use this in my daughter's 30 litre (what's that about 7gallon?) I just don't use the skimmer bit.. it's keeps clowns, zoas and mushrooms happy @ £40.00

https://www.aqua-one-spare-parts.co.uk/proddetail/aqua-one-nanoreef-35-nanoskim-40-protein-skimmer?gclid=CjwKCAiAzrWOBhBjEiwAq85QZ1Z036N11AebES-xHCAadlkFfr-z3Md3hI_QJdqY4BmNqXwIXaj-kxoCfJUQAvD_BwE

• Like 2
On 12/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

Can anyone recommend a genuinely quiet (as in as near as possible to silent as you can get) wave maker please?

Looking for adjustable output, around the 1000-3000 l/HR mark. 

Does anyone have any experience with the jebao R4? 

Most pumps are built on an inherently silent design.  

What makes most of the noise on most pumps is the changing of speed..."DC powered", or controllable, speed-adjustable pumps are "noisy".  

A one-speed pump (eg AC powered pump) should be so quiet you have to hold your hand in front of it to know it's on.

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...