Pod Your Reef

Algae id please

justinkdenny

I got a small amount of this in some chaeto and the lfs said it was dragonsbreath. It is definitely not dragonsbreath. It has crept into the main tank and is trying to grow over the corals. Anyony know what it is and what eats it? It is very spongy and thick.

20211223_094913.jpg

Just now, mcarroll said:

@justinkdenny browse through PhycoKey and see if you can locate your algae....it's all picture based.....start by pickgin "Red algae" and go from there.  (I'll do same and let you know what I think.)

Thank you. Will do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 7:47 PM, mcarroll said:

I see a few other possibilities, but IMO they don't look as close as the one I liked.  Let me know what you think!

Really doesn't look like that. I haven't been able to find anything that looks like it.  I need a better pic.  Next time I pull a clump out, I'll try to get a good pic.  It forms a dense clump.  I have dipped a coral and rock that was covered with the stuff  in hydrogen peroxide and it will turn a beautiful orangish pink color and die but comes right back on the same rocks.

• Like 1
On 12/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, mcarroll said:

First guess:

http://cfb.unh.edu/phycokey/Choices/Rhodophyceae/Macroreds/LAURENCIA/Laurencia_key.htm

That page also suggests Chondria....from Googling it looks similar as well.

Keep in mind that growth forms are highly dependent on local conditions, so use your imagination when looking at the pics and make sure you read descriptions in case there's a clue there.

Do your know of anything, fish or invert, that might eat it that would be suitable for a nano? 10gal

Just now, mcarroll said:

Photo doesn't come through....better link: http://cfb.unh.edu/phycokey/Choices/Rhodophyceae/Macroreds/PHYLLOPHORA/Phyllophora_key.htm

Says that grows a few inches tall whereas yours looks like it's growing close to the substrate....almost more like encrusting.   Hm....

Yes mine does not really branch and grows more in thick clumps.  It is not only by the substrate.  It also will even grow on pumps etc.  

Hopefully someone else will chime in....

You could even consider sending some (best you can get) photos to the PhycoKey folks and ask them for ID.

Can you pinch it off the rocks in a manner similar to how you would pull hair algae?  Wondering if you can just brute force it...

Just now, mcarroll said:

Hopefully someone else will chime in....

You could even consider sending some (best you can get) photos to the PhycoKey folks and ask them for ID.

Can you pinch it off the rocks in a manner similar to how you would pull hair algae?  Wondering if you can just brute force it...

you can definitely pull it off in clumps but you cant get it all.  

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

On the rock work does it almost encrust and dome?

For some reason I'm thinking Gracilaria Mammarilis but not sure thats what i am actually thinking of 

When I google that name for images, there are certainly some similar options generated.

Looks like we could buy some on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274666284436?hash=item3ff362e594:g:NxoAAOSw2s1clGdL

(same genera, different species)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

On the rock work does it almost encrust and dome?

For some reason I'm thinking Gracilaria Mammarilis but not sure thats what i am actually thinking of 

yes it does.  The picture that links to planted reef when i search Gracilaria Mammarilis looks like it.  It says it is not available.  this stuff is a plague. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

it grows more dense than the one for sale

That's easily just the difference in their lighting vs yours, or flow, nutrients....etc.   If it's close, it's close enough.   True.   Could be a slightly different species too.  All the same to us...genus is all we need.

• Like 2