Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Keke's Mr. Aqua 3 gallon bowfront sexy pico

kekke1082

So i ordered this mr aqua 3 gallon from BRS a few weeks ago with the intention of setting up a freshwater shrimp only tank... Well now I've changed my mind and want to do a pico sexy shrimp/coral only tank. The addiction is real! 😅. This will be a slow moving project since I'll need somewhere to put it. 

Any suggestions on filtration or refugium? Considering the tried and true aquaclear hob refugium mod or possibly a finex breeder box refugium. Definitely going to add an ato of some type possibly a gravity ato like the nano ome that screws onto a bottle. I'll probably repurpose one of my kingbo par 38 bulbs to light it.

20211212_135600_HDR.jpg

20211212_135618.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, fenderchamp said:

image.png.d8c95fbcca627db9f7c7b7e8fb41445b.png

This is one of my favorites and a fav on FB from some of the other groups I've asked for advice from. If I can secure it thoroughly I'll go with this one! I tried using the extra thick super glue gel from BRS and it didn't hold very well by itself. When the roads clear I'm going to get some putty. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Super glue gel putty sandwich between the rock pieces works best for me. Super glue gel - putty - super glue gel.

Interesting, I go Putty - super glue gel- putty 

Or of working with Dry rock, watery superglue and cotton wool balls to make an instant strong bond 

I wonder which sandwich taste (works) best 😁

On a more serious note, what's the cotton wool balls are for? is it to help with the consistency? (out of curiosity)

7 minutes ago, Squid_reef said:

On a more serious note, what's the cotton wool balls are for? is it to help with the consistency? (out of curiosity)

The superglue essentially instantly "melts" the cotton wool this creates a strong point of connection between the rocks, then cover with rock dust, sand whatever. Fair warning though this does create a LOT of heat and has started small fires previously with too much glue 🤣

• Haha 1
On 1/19/2022 at 9:39 AM, Ratvan said:

Interesting, I go Putty - super glue gel- putty 

Or of working with Dry rock, watery superglue and cotton wool balls to make an instant strong bond 

I need to get some cotton balls bc I've done this before as well on my fw aquascapes and it works wonders idk why I didn't think of that before smh

On 1/19/2022 at 9:44 AM, Squid_reef said:

It reacts with the thinner super glue and hardens like rock it's very sturdy afterwards like almost unbreakable 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Stay tuned! The pico reef is coming soon 😉! A I'm sure those of you following me have noticed but I have a LOT of little projects going on right now. The pico reef will not be left behind! The rack system has started and once it's done many of my projects will be able to FINALLY start! 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

The pico has life! So I haven't updated on this in quite some time! Life has been going full steam ahead and has been steam rolling me and my fiance 😅. We're up to 6 months of her IV treatments now for Relapsing and Remitting MS and things have been a rollercoaster of ups and downs with her health but we are still trucking!  Enjoy the photo dump! 

I decided to go deep sandbed with black sand, started with a piece of live rock pulled from my bowl, and it came with a few springs of macro attached as well. It's gone about 6 weeks with no light, and currently has a cheap dollar store tap light for illumination. Its turned on like barely once a week so far, pretty much whenever I do maintenance. Ideally I plan to pull the wave pump out of it entirely, and add a nano HOB for mechanical filtration. So far no other filtration has been added. I top off about once every 3-5 days. 

Also, just yesterday I purchased some zoa and paly frags and was gifted this rather large piece of GSP attached to rock 😅 I wasn't expecting it to be this large although the gifter did warn me ahead that it was a decent size. Oh well, it seems happy so far so I'm leaving it be. 

Any lighting recommendations for this 3 gallon Mr aqua? I'm considering moving my nicrew LED light over to it but it has a burnt diode. I'd love to try a clip on option or even something USB powered? 

IMG_20220911_105853_MP.jpg

IMG_20220911_105833_MP.jpg

IMG_20220911_105819_MP.jpg

IMG_20220911_105815_MP.jpg

IMG_20220911_105812_MP.jpg

IMG_20220911_105809_MP.jpg

• Like 1

I'm taking a water sample to my LFS today to have it tested just for the heck of it. ( I replaced my expired Api test kit but I like a second check to be on the safe side) 

IMG_20220911_110056_MP.jpg

IMG_20220911_110036_MP.jpg

IMG_20220911_105757_MP.jpg

• Like 2