Pod Your Reef

Pink diamond zoa Help

HuskyReefer

I have had this coral for over a few months now.  It has slowly begun to fade and the polps are small.  It’s the only zoa that looks like this in my tank.  It is still growing but just doesn’t look as vibrant as it did initially.  It’s in moderate flow and higher up in my tank at this point.  I have a biocube 16LED and wasn’t sure if it’s a lighting issue or not.  I liked how it looked initially but now it’s just faded and dull.  Wasn’t sure if there is a way to get it back to being bright again? Thank you for your help!

E7AD3645-C624-4830-94B2-5454FE05ED97.jpeg

We need all the usual basics about your system if we're gonna help.  🙂 

Tell us how old, what size, what fish, what livestock, all test numbers (crucial:  alk, ca, no3, po4).

A whole tank shot might help too.  👍

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

We need all the usual basics about your system if we're gonna help.  🙂 

Tell us how old, what size, what fish, what livestock, all test numbers (crucial:  alk, ca, no3, po4).

A whole tank shot might help too.  👍

Thank you for the reply.  No3, Po4 are 0. Ca is 400 and alk is 10.  And here is a picture of the reef.  It’s biocube 16 with 2 clowns, skunk shrimp, tuxedo urchin and assortment of snails and crabs. It is about 2 years old.  Thanks 

3CFBEB11-553F-4A5C-A728-15224980FD44.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Gorgeous tank, from what I know, it may be a lack of nitrate and phosphate causing dull color in the zoas. Some people can correct that by dosing aminos or feeding them directly, others recommend running with 5 or so N03 and 0.01-0.1 P04.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Are you running your light whiter? This could also be one of the possible cause.

I just run the stock biocube lights.  Could it be they are too high in the tank and are bleached? 

More white will generally make your coral more brown. If a zoa have too much light, it will not extend and be very close to the rock/subtrat. Yours doesn't seems to do that. From what I understand, a biocube light is not considered a strong light (does not grow sps very well).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HuskyReefer said:

No3, Po4 are 0.

Good looking pics!!!   A lot of our corals seem pretty light colored....though so far I wouldn't say they look unhealthy yet.  This is good!!

I'm guessing that the growth you've gotten so far (combined with any filtering you've been doing) has exhausted the tank's dissolved nutrient supply.  

2 hours ago, HuskyReefer said:

2 clowns

Seems like their feeding should represent a decent amount of of N and P going into the water.

How are you taking care of the tank?

And how are you filtering the water?

For now...

If you're doing water changes, stop until you get this sorted out...doing one will make it even worse every time.

If you're doing any "filtering" other than just a protein skimmer, I would stop that too.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Try lowering it down, some zoanthids react that way when they are placed under too much light. 

The marine biologist at my second favourite  lfs told me the other day when I was there that she finds their zoas have smaller polyps when in too much light.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

The marine biologist at my second favourite  lfs told me the other day when I was there that she finds their zoas have smaller polyps when in too much light.

I've noticed that as well! 

• Like 1