inTank Media Baskets

Thoughts on fish for 14g nano?

codacodi

I am setting up my 14g nano reef. As its getting ready to cycle, I was thinking of the following fish:

1. Yellow watchman gobby
  2. Firefish (purple)
  3. Royal Gramma

Are this too many fish for a 14g?

Shouldn't be too many.  I'd add the firefish first (make sure you have a top and wait for it to start eating), then add the watchman goby, with the RG being last.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, codacodi said:

but any chances of aggression?

It can depend on individual fish and aquascape.  Hiding spaces (dart holes) will help define territories and make fish more comfortable.  The firefish and goby do share similar shapes, but the goby should occupy a lower space in the tank.

filefishfinatic

i would do a carribean tank instead or a pacific tank. get a false gramma, another small pacific fish(talbot damsel) and pacific coral if you want pacific tank. get a pair of neon goby, green band goby and jewl damsel or other fish (pretty much your choice, from carribean. get st thomas shroom & gorgonian. 

Nice fish list!  I had a gramma and a watchmen in a 20 high (similar footprint as your 14) and had zero issues between them.  In the end a lot does depend on individual fish.  I agree with @seabass on the order of additions.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Every time I see a "nano fish recommendation" post I'll always recommend a possum wrasse. Those fish are so cool and mellow.

I think the three listed would do just fine though, assuming you add the most aggressive fish last.

• Like 1

Omg, I had not considered a possom wrasse. Dont they need much bigger tanks. Google tells me 10g is sufficient. Such a pretty fish. Choices, choices

1 hour ago, codacodi said:

Omg, I had not considered a possom wrasse. Dont they need much bigger tanks. Google tells me 10g is sufficient. Such a pretty fish. Choices, choices

Pink streak are also wonderful personalities if you can find one. I'd advise caution with the gramma, some people have no problems and others regret the purchase lol.

• Like 1

I agree on the possum wrasse family, gentle and quiet fish.. they do jump though! I had fished mine out of the back compartment regularly.. one day he was not so fortunate....

• Like 1