Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clams and ReefLED 50

Crusher895

HI guys so I am interested in getting a crocea clam not sure which one yet though. Before I give you guys my question here is what is in my tank and what is being shipped to be in my tank soon:

-2 ocellaris clownfish

-tailspot blenny

-Wheelers goby

- pistol shrimp

-1 acan

-2 hammer corals

-1 birdsnest

-2 ricordia mushrooms

I also use a aqamai kps, sicce 1.5 return and then use a media basket for filtration possibly adding a protein skimmer. In the future I am hoping to add maybe 3-5 sexy shrimp, a possum wrasse or a orchid dotty back, and maybe some more corals. So with a bioload of all that I just stated, adding a protein skimmer, doing a 15% water change every week, and possibly adding a media reactor (Not sure about that one yet). Would adding a clam be okay or is that too much?

33 minutes ago, Crusher895 said:

HI guys so I am interested in getting a crocea clam not sure which one yet though. Before I give you guys my question here is what is in my tank and what is being shipped to be in my tank soon:

-2 ocellaris clownfish

-tailspot blenny

-Wheelers goby

- pistol shrimp

-1 acan

-2 hammer corals

-1 birdsnest

-2 ricordia mushrooms

I also use a aqamai kps, sicce 1.5 return and then use a media basket for filtration possibly adding a protein skimmer. In the future I am hoping to add maybe 3-5 sexy shrimp, a possum wrasse or a orchid dotty back, and maybe some more corals. So with a bioload of all that I just stated, adding a protein skimmer, doing a 15% water change every week, and possibly adding a media reactor (Not sure about that one yet). Would adding a clam be okay or is that too much?

The clam would be fine with that bioload. They actually need organics, so it is good to have some waste available for them. Just make sure to give it plenty of light, as T. crocea are the most light demanding out of all the giant clams. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Seems very reasonable. I'm curious to see how your clam does, if you go that route. I've wanted a clam but I'm scared to put one in a pure LED lit system.

Thanks I will keep you guys updated

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Crusher895 said:

Would adding a clam be okay or is that too much?

Depends.  

It sounds like you are setting up a brand new tank.  Not the best setting for a clam.

Can you tell us about the tank setup and (if it's already set up) how you're caring for it so far?

A pic of your setup might also help.  👍

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Depends.  

It sounds like you are setting up a brand new tank.  Not the best setting for a clam.

Can you tell us about the tank setup and (if it's already set up) how you're caring for it so far?

A pic of your setup might also help.  👍

I have a biocube 32 right now only using a media basket and a 15% water change weekly with 2 clownfish, a torch coral, and a 2 zoa’s. I’m using a reefled 50 for lighting and a Aqamai kps for circulation. 

(edit) I have had it for about a year and 5 months now.

Without more info I'd say to make sure the tank has been up and corals have been healthy/no problems for at least a year or so.

Corals need far less light than clams, so keep that in mind....make sure to have your light levels established while you only have corals/BEFORE you get the clam.  30,000 lux is a good target level.

5 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

I've wanted a clam but I'm scared to put one in a pure LED lit system.

I had one for a few months doing really well and growing under ai primes on a 20 tall. I bet it would have continued but I moved and so I got rid of it