ReefCleaners.org

Canister filter just to remove equipment from DT?

fulltang

Hey all, I'm in the process of setting up a 2.5g jar with a Picopro light and I have been heavily researching canister filters for a few reasons: the ability to easily add a chill solutions cooler in the summer (high indoor ambient temps) and removing as much equipment from as possible from inside the jar.

I ended up ordering the Oase filtosmart 100 therm, which has a heater built in. My current plan is to run it completely empty of filter material in order to make it as low maintenance as possible, but may add something if anyone has a recommendation. 

A few questions:

1. Does anyone run a canister filter with the primary goal of relocating your equipment outside of the DT?

2. Is a canister filter without filter material still going to require bi weekly maintenance?

3. Will the output of the canister filter provide sufficient flow on it's own?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I ran a 4g softy tank with a finnex can for about 4 years with carbon bio rings and sponge/floss. I certainly didnt do maintenance every 2 weeks on that thing more like around every 5 to 6. I just restarted the same can on a 2.5g lps tank its prety old now but works fine. It's been running a few weeks now but I havent touched it yet.

Eventualy the biofilm in the can will form in the pipes and pump and have to be cleaned out regardless of weather or not you have filter media same happens to water pumps this will decrease your flow rate. I also imagine it was start to build up detritus in the can that would need to be emptied.how fast that happens will depend on alot if factors like how nutreant rich the tank is how much detritus you remove manualy ect.

Thanks for the info!

Couple questions, did you just use the tubing that was supplied for the input/output or did you use something else? And did you add any valves or anything to make disconnecting the canister easier?

Nope just what It came with..mine has some hangers I never used that alow it to hang on the back like a hob filter too butt the tanks were so small it could reach over the lip with just sitting on the stand with the normal connections. I didn't even need any if the tubes that came with it. Honestly I would use black ones if you can get. Usualy they are clear or green looking let's in light and adds to buildup growth In the tubes.

• Like 1