Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Peter's 40Breeder Budget Build

ptora

Hey everyone,

Ā 

I was inspired lately by some talks lately surrounding budget builds. So I've decided to re-use equipment I already on my current tanksĀ or budget priced/used items to hopefully keep a successful thriving mixed reef tank. Hope ya'll tag along on this frugal journey!Ā šŸ˜€

Ā 

It's part of my crazy plan to use a third of the tank to grow fragsĀ and the rest will be a display but done in a very unconventional way šŸ¤Ŗ.Ā 

Ā 

Decided to start up this journal and share after being inspired by Reefbuilders' latest video on their budget buildĀ to post this journal but been following some folks like telegraham, inappropriate reefer, mahina_corals on instagramĀ who have been preachingĀ that you don't need the latest and fanciest equipment to run a reef tank. Also loved checking out Reefbums latest tank build so why not give it a shot and document the journey.

Ā 

Equipment

Tank: 40 gallon BreederĀ 

Lighting: Modified Viparspectra 165W + 2x AliE (Populargrow) 54W LED bars

Filtration: Seachem Tidal 75 w/ marco rocks and AF Reef Bio FilĀ as biological filtration

Powerhead: Jebao SLW-20, Nero 3

Skimmer: TBD - Most likely a cheap air pump skimmer

Dosing: Saturated Kalk using the Kamoer X1 Pro T

Controller: Coralvue Hydros Control 4

Ā 

Stocking

1 x Biota Captive Bred Yellow Tang

2 x Mocha Storm Clowns

3 x Seale's Cardinals

1 x Orchid Dottyback

1 x Neon Goby

Ā 

20211019_120233.jpg

20211025_180843.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jaren45 said:

is that light diffuser on your black box?

Just a piece of frosted acrylic from what I've seen others used to reduce shimmering. I hadĀ pulled out all the 90 degree lenses and replaced the outer lenses with 120 degree lenses to be able to drop the height of the light down to 12 inches above the water and give the tank a nicer spread.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Tank has been running really well so far. Decided to take a twist on the "cycling" method this time and added corals in first per Jake Adams, I did used Dr. Tim's One and only and the tank was literally cycled in 5 days and saw a bit of nitrates from the test kit, so I decided to startĀ moving easy softies and zoanthusĀ that would appreciate that extra nitrate, thenĀ LPS. The pair of clowns went in along with a couple of bubble tip anemonesĀ which were digged deep into some of the old rocks. Getting a bit of diatoms but this is perfectly normal and the snails have taken care of that.Ā 

20211110_185721.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Ā 

Just an update to cap off 2021.Ā 

Ā 

Added all the fish that were in quarantine for the past couple months, everything has been thriving so far including some of the acros (bali green slimer, yellow tip austera, and tri-colour valida). Bit of algae but nothing nuisance an the clean up crew are taking care of it.

Ā 

I've actually decided to get a hydros 4 controller after talking to some peeps including Jim (telegraham) as my plan was to dose kalkwasser and don't want to send my pH through the roof andĀ so far it's been my best investment yet. Hooked up the Kamoer X1 Pro T doser and been riding that boostedĀ pH!

20211228_144210.jpg

20211215_194251.jpg

20211227_112457.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

January update dump!Ā šŸ˜…

Ā 

Anacroporas

20220123_173703.thumb.jpg.c6fda05377f87f23c3be33c91a482d8b.jpg

Ā 

PC RainbowĀ šŸŒˆ

20220123_173709.thumb.jpg.8f758ab0ac1adad8a98aeb300b9f7f6a.jpg\

Ā 

Rainbow PectiniaĀ 

20220123_173738.thumb.jpg.85285171139625b47604cd458352fed1.jpg

Ā 

Jack-O-Lantern Lepto

20220123_173656.thumb.jpg.246bd68bb603d65e7c63328044db3c66.jpg

Ā 

Green torch

20220123_173729.thumb.jpg.230bb9b92f474157e8f0e731f391e78b.jpg

Ā 

Wild Chalice

20220123_173628.thumb.jpg.128b28fe81525d840d1d12bf0422192c.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Some nice looking stuff on the tiles šŸ‘

Thank you!Ā One of the challenges of going bare bottom and wanting a carpet of various zoanthids I find.

• Like 2
On 12/29/2021 at 10:47 PM, ptora said:

Ā 

Just an update to cap off 2021.Ā 

Ā 

Added all the fish that were in quarantine for the past couple months, everything has been thriving so far including some of the acros (bali green slimer, yellow tip austera, and tri-colour valida). Bit of algae but nothing nuisance an the clean up crew are taking care of it.

Ā 

I've actually decided to get a hydros 4 controller after talking to some peeps including Jim (telegraham) as my plan was to dose kalkwasser and don't want to send my pH through the roof andĀ so far it's been my best investment yet. Hooked up the Kamoer X1 Pro T doser and been riding that boostedĀ pH!

20211228_144210.jpg

20211215_194251.jpg

20211227_112457.jpg

Can you walk us through how you have this kalkwasser doser setup? Does it trigger via pH?

• Like 1
On 1/24/2022 at 8:54 PM, joshthebox said:

That chalice is wicked! Nice Anacropora as well!Ā 

It is! I'm hoping it colours up as it has lots of potential. Anacros have become my favourite as of current, I'm on the hunt for a TNT.

• Like 1
Just now, ptora said:

It is! I'm hoping it colours up as it has lots of potential. Anacros have become my favourite as of current, I'm on the hunt for a TNT.

Exotic Aquarium World had some TNT a while back, maybe he still has some frags? I think they were priced pretty cheap as well.Ā 

• Like 1
On 1/25/2022 at 12:37 AM, DevilDuck said:

Can you walk us through how you have this kalkwasser doser setup? Does it trigger via pH?

For sure, I dose kalkwasser using the ACI Method which Chris Meckley uses on his coral system. Essentially it's fully saturated kalkwasser, 2tbsp/per gallon of RODI mixed up then let settled before dosing. The kamoer doser doses at a rate of 1mL/min for my tank and I only dose at night from 9:30pm to 11:30AM at which I have programmedĀ using myĀ hydros controller to turn on and off. This of course differs from tank to tank due to evaporation rate, and alk consumption as I've heard others dosing at 10 or 20mL/minĀ Ā I can set the hydros to shut it off if pH hits a certain level however my pH only hits a high ofĀ 8.2 at the moment so I'm not too concern with it. Alkalinity has been pretty stable and usually sits between 8-9dkh. I'm still tweaking it for my systemĀ but I am tracking data before I give it a full in depth review, perhaps I'll make a video breaking it down a little bit better.Ā Ā Ā 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

Exotic Aquarium World had some TNT a while back, maybe he still has some frags? I think they were priced pretty cheap as well.Ā 

Thanks for the heads up, for some reasonĀ I always thought he only brings in fish and inverts.Ā 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ptora said:

using the ACI Method which Chris Meckley uses on his coral system.

I have been reading about this method Ā and just watched this video, very interesting please let us know how it goes, are you going to just ignore alk and just focus on ph like he implies on the video?
Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

I will, I'm at the 1 month mark at the moment so I'll continue documentĀ the progess on kalk dosing as I'm not comfortableĀ releasing data and progession prematurely, perhapsĀ I'll look intoĀ releasingĀ initial observation at the three months mark on my progression. At the moment, I'm slowly adjusting to increase my pH to and ensuring that my alk doesn't run higher than I am comfortable with along with that, when I started kalk.Ā The main goal was to boost my supressed pH while increasingĀ and maintaining alk. InitiallyĀ when I started dosing my alk, itĀ was sitting at 6.7 dkh and I have slowly brought that up to 7.5dkhĀ and now sitting between 8-9 for the past 3 weeks. I've seen no ill effects with corals and my pH has gone from a low from 7.67 to 8.01 at night. So there maybe some truth to what Chris has mentioned regarding ignoring alk, however this is just my short observation at the moment.Ā 

Ā 

Ā Ā 

2 hours ago, pal said:

I have been reading about this method Ā and just watched this video, very interesting please let us know how it goes, are you going to just ignore alk and just focus on ph like he implies on the video?
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2