Coral Vue Hydros

Looking for types of live coral for my axolotl tank

Quetzalotl

Is this possible? ..Some sort of coral or something that will coexist alongside the axolotl?

I am very new to all of this—

I got an axolotl egg which hatched and so I am trying to build an optimally self-sufficient, hopefully living and welcoming environment for when it grows up. I would like some real stuff in it, not just fake plants or plastic pirate ships. Just hoping thats possible, that they won't just destroy whatever living reef or other planta I might put in there.

Has anyone had or heard of experience with these two types of organisms successfully coexisting together? Any help, advice or expertise would be immensely appreciated both by me and my axolotl.

HookedOnAquariums

Look into live plants fro freshwater tanks. Axolotls are a fully freshwater species and there is no known freshwater corals. Even if there were corals it would be likely to damage the axolotls sensitive skin. Highly recommend finding some resource about axolotl care that is not a saltwater reef form if you are really looking to keep this thing happy… 

• Like 1

How did you get an axolotl when they are critically endangered?

You sure its not a salamander? 

axolotl are from Lake Xochimilco in Mexico. You would need to replicate that habitat.

HookedOnAquariums
Just now, Clown79 said:

How did you get an axolotl when they are critically endangered?

You sure its not a salamander? 

axolotl are from Lake Xochimilco in Mexico. You would need to replicate that habitat.

Axolotls are extensively captive bred and are in just about every LFS with a freshwater section. Not hard to get.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Axolotls are extensively captive bred and are in just about every LFS with a freshwater section. Not hard to get.

Well i guess all the sites claiming critically endangered must be wrong.

• Like 1

I suppose it may be that it is critically endangered in the wild but also widely available in the captive bred aquarium community.

Endler's livebearer is a great example of this.  They have not been found in their native range in Venezuela in recent attempts (so possibly extinct in the wild, as per the interwebz), but are readily available captive bred.  Having had a few of these guys before, they go from 8 to 80 in only a couple months if healthy.  Best have a use for them as food for something else or an avenue for sale if you choose to keep them.  Also best to keep a lid on the tank as they are impressive jumpers.  Interestingly, also a brackish capable species.

• Like 1