Cultivated Reef

Ai Nero 3 too strong for softies in 20g AIO?

Reid

Hi everyone! I’m new to reefing and am setting up a 20 gallon Innovative Marine AIO. I have the tank set up and recently purchased the AI Nero 3 as the power head. After putting it in I’m afraid it might be too strong for softies? It’s putting out 660 gph on  1% on top of the tanks filter pumps being 174 gph minimum so I’m thinking this might be too strong for softies according to the text book, but not sure if real life experience is different! 

has anyone used the Ai Nero 3 in a 20 gallon with softies or is it too much flow? I’m planning on getting lots eventually but as this is my first time with a marine tank that’s quite a ways down the road and might need an alternative…

I'd say it's on the high side, but you can just turn it down and ramp it up if needed.  Depending on the dimensions and placement of the corals, it should be just fine, but if you leave it on a mid to high setting, I would just keep corals out of the direct path of water from it.  If you have a long tank and have it go the long side, that reduces the concern, if you're pointing at a wall of the tank (like in a cube tank) it's probably fine, or if you're pointing at rockwork without corals, also probably fine.... just don't slam the polyps around by pointing the stream at them.

Keep it! Great pump. I was worried about the same thing on my 20 high. Find a good spot and you and your coral will be happy. It has a really wide flow so even when placed on the side coral across the tank weren’t getting blasted. For reference I currently have it running on my waterbox 10 cube up to 20-25% without issues at all

I think I will! I was really excited for it and nervous once seeing how low is still high but I think I have some good spots in the tank to place it strategically until I venture into lps/sps down the road