Coral Vue Hydros

IM Nuvo 10 - first reef

Nova Scotian

I noticed that’s and googled it. I read that the solution is the same and it works for saltwater too… maybe I’ll double check in case I find differing info.

Just looked up the difference between colour cards for fw and sw. I think I am mainly looking for the high levels of ammonia to drop down to 0, 

luckily it shouldn’t be a problem.

B034EC42-3638-4D6F-94C7-3A6469D61F83.jpeg

52ECD41D-699D-4D56-92C2-81DBCE947D6F.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had a reefy weekend so far. I set up a little pod culture. I still have nitrites and nitrates, so I’ve held off on adding anything to the tank. 

I also found a used Coralife Biocube 32 with stand for $150 CAN, so I bought it. The stand has water damage, and I am currently spray painting it to try to salvage it. Hopefully it’s okay, there are a couple of areas where the particleboard puffed up on the back edge of the top and the bottom of one of the doors.

For the Biocube, I don’t want an actual reef, maybe just some GSP or something weedy. Maybe even macroalgae. I just got very wishful for some more fish options, such as a dwarf angel.

I also visited another lfs, and the owner is a marine biologist and has worked at the Vancouver aquarium and Toronto zoo. He currently inspects wild animal facilities for the gov’t. So, I will be going there, I think… his tanks are really clean and everything is nicely kept. He also is super, super knowledgeable.

229A0F55-7DE4-4CD8-BB8B-9E1B9A8ABC4E.jpeg

851F6420-21E9-4534-B82F-C8A9EE7C32A7.jpeg

79598D73-8939-47C0-AB4B-7AC4ED0E69E5.jpeg

Another update: on the local aquarium club page, I found out that multiple people use the saltwater from the bay my house sits on! I can walk across the road and collect water. I wonder if this is a good idea - it is considered clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went ahead and used natural saltwater from the bay. I’ve had an amphipod and copepod explosion, as far as I can tell. It looks like a blizzard in there…

E81B8CFD-A98C-4ED4-BA1C-9FFF25CE294B.jpeg

C8C01FA4-C16D-496B-A8A2-4E64B5F60632.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I have diatoms, film algae, AND green hair algae. I finally got a little CUC after work today - Christmas vacay has started. The guy at the reef store was very cautious, so I have one cerith snail and two itty bitty blue leg hermits. They are adorable! 

4C5BBC7A-3B21-415F-8B61-CB2E6B5C613B.jpeg

C4F5FC30-466E-4E63-90AB-AACABD4CC14E.jpeg

• Like 2

I decided to get clownfish as my first fish, because they are hardier than the wild caught gobies. They will go to the Biocube eventually. By then, I will feel hopefully certain that I know what I’m doing with marine fish. One is a Maine Mocha, and it is a bit skinny. The other, I cannot remember… something with “storm.” I need to fatten them up.

Also, both hermits have moved into bigger shells.

• 4 weeks later...

There has been a sudden burst of itty bitty sponges on the shaded spots of my rocks. Somehow I was actually able to ID these myself… earlier, I shared a photo of an amphipod in and ID thread, convinced it was something terrible. The larger pods have vanished since inhabitants moved in, but there is still pod life in here. I’m excited about the sponges! It is too amazing, just what I wanted when I dreamed of having a reef… interesting intricacies of a real reef.

I think I am going to wait until March break, when I have a week off from work, to buy corals. I want to have a shipment from fragbox, because I haven’t found anything really nice around my area. Another choice is to buy frags from a reefer who lives a few hours away, but I’d rather wait. 

• 1 month later...
Nova Scotian

Metallic blue discosoma at the front. It isn’t opening up, a little concerned over it. And a Forrest fire mushroom at the back. It has since unfurled.

20F92E0B-1512-449B-9160-32EE6574FC69.jpeg

Red riding hood mushroom, can’t wait for the bright red to show.

39186509-57FE-448F-8C4A-B6F8EE159B49.jpeg