Innovative Marine Aquariums

IM Nuvo 10 - first reef

Nova Scotian

Nova Scotian

The tank and light arrived today. I’m waiting for the InTank chaeto media rack and back compartment cover, and the random flow generator. The company I ordered it from seems a bit ridiculous, so hopefully it doesn’t take too long to get here. I am going to order the heater and controller, and now I am trying to figure out where it should go.

I originally thought I’d put it by my tv, but the tank instructions said to keep it away due to salt creep. It would have been nice there!

The light is the AI Prime 16 HD. 

My next research will be on water, so that I buy all the correct test kits and understand how to go through a cycle.

Someone had asked me elsewhere what I’d like for stocking, and I have one solid answer so far… a Gladiator clownfish. Unforntately, from what I’ve found, they are a bit pricey 🤦🏼‍♀️

A9593DDF-169A-4BE9-8177-E2C80E82F9E6.jpeg

45D0339F-D591-4A11-AF53-24109A0DB30C.png

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

I am going to order the heater and controller, and now I am trying to figure out where it should go.

I used velcro tape to attach my pump controller as well as my inkbird to the left and right of the filter section. Of course you could put it anywhere, but velcro is useful!

Looks great following along

• Like 1

Great room!  I'm not sure if it would be a problem in that spot.  I have the same tank and I don't have an issue with salt creep at all.  I think you really only have issues when there is a lot of surface agitation and bubbles popping and spraying away from the tank.  I have never noticed anything like that with mine.  

If you like that spot, try it.  This is such a small tank, it's easy to take down and move if needed.  Unless you just don't want to take that chance.

Nova Scotian

Thanks! I’m going to go ahead and keep it here, at least for now. I just got the rfg and chaeto basket yesterday, and I am currently trying to finish up a couple of courses so I will wait a couple of weeks and then I will be filling this up with water😄 I’m a crazy person who works a full time job and is taking my Masters. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Thanks! I’m going to go ahead and keep it here, at least for now. I just got the rfg and chaeto basket yesterday, and I am currently trying to finish up a couple of courses so I will wait a couple of weeks and then I will be filling this up with water😄 I’m a crazy person who works a full time job and is taking my Masters. 

Good thing you're starting the reef tank.  You can stare at it when you are feeling too stressed!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: the heater arrived broken, but when the replacement arrives I will be able to go get sand, rock and water. I have the API kit for the cycle, but no other test kits ordered yet. 

I’ve been looking at stocking options, for fun. I have to look more into pistol shrimp, I’m not sure about the pros and cons yet. Either the shrimp/goby pair or the jawfish, not both. Also, the clownfish or the gramma, not both. But here are some ideas I’m thinking of. So fun to begin to imagine it coming to life.

9B4E4F31-37CE-48DD-B360-2D2A5C8E1CBC.jpeg

3DDFDA08-CDCB-438D-AC7A-15F81D0B9F6A.jpeg

5578E457-7CA3-4AFC-837B-156C3AA81502.jpeg

E8623010-C28E-4F26-86B6-B82319A4DD01.png

E32C0BDA-1B57-45F4-B448-6522C2F83848.png

DC785093-DCA5-4DA5-ADBF-9D69285EA6B1.png

19BA701C-7AD6-4B96-A76D-3DCA825C6B84.png

Bummer about the heater!  

I'd go for the shrimp/goby pair ❤️ .  I don't think the jawfish would be very happy in an IM10.  I don't know what the tank size requirements are but I know in my IM10 there would never be enough space for one of those.  They like to dig a hole and live in it, if I'm remembering right.  There just isn't enough footprint for that in these little tanks.

But the goby/shrimp pair would be perfect!

Grammas can be aggressive in my experience.  Just a heads up.  Could be a problem down the line.  

I've always love the looks of the pavona as well!

• Like 3

Okay, thanks for the info about the jawfish. I think I saw in Igreen’s article that one could go in a 10 (the pearly yellow head), but it makes sense that the cube AIO has less bottom space. I did quickly notice a comment about someone not wanting to risk a pistol (maybe they meant a mantis)… 

Are the grammas worse than clownfish for aggressiveness? I could go for other fish, too, I’m just looking for some colour.

I've had clowns and royal grammas together and they were added at the same time, they were totally fine with each other but the gramma was aggressive to anything coming in more then the clowns which surprised me lol

• Like 1
23 hours ago, mipster said:

I've had clowns and royal grammas together and they were added at the same time, they were totally fine with each other but the gramma was aggressive to anything coming in more then the clowns which surprised me lol

This has been my experience too!  I would say they are more aggressive than clowns.

• 3 weeks later...

So here is the scape. The bottom pieces are loose so I can keep the weedy corals trimmed and away from the main rock. It doesn’t go up very high, I am not sure if I should heighten it. Any comments welcome, I don’t know the ins and outs of rock work. I also hope to put some live rock chunks in once some of the cycle is complete.

7204CF52-4BB4-4C2F-8C2F-1BC6E3585DE2.jpeg

E32F70C2-2EF5-4797-9BA5-A029406177A7.jpeg

D6933160-8512-4E55-8B96-742E2AF6C16C.jpeg

73DA0B71-BB69-446E-85CB-843F6341A59D.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I have the water at the correct salinity, and the pump running. I like the random flow generator, tiny little “waves” constantly move on the surface. I have ordered MB7, and I will then add an ammonia source and start the cycle. So exciting! I do things slowly, and this tank is actually progressing at a snail’s pace. But dragging it out hopefully will prevent the mistakes I make when I rush.

BC198169-C65F-4B7D-BA3C-9020EC11F09A.jpeg

• Like 3
growsomething

Good to see people still rocking nuvo 10's.

In a few years I figure I can get a handful cheap.  

That is to say, I have one and like them 😏

Edited by growsomething
Clarification
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m glad you like them, growsomething! So far I like mine, but all that is currently happening in it is the cycle. 

I’ve been using Microbacter7 to dose bacteria, but the ammonia is sky-high. This will need to run much longer before it is cycled. I bet it will happen very slowly, because slow is my speed.

45996D5F-E455-4C6D-82BE-54E1CB27DF27.jpeg