Top Shelf Aquatics

Unofficial contest build challenge: Mini tank complete

chaostactics

chaostactics

Unofficial Build/Challenge with the mini complete tank*

minicompletetank.com/

Looks like the manufacturer page is sold out but there are options on eBay, tankmods, AliExpress, etc.

Rules to be ironed out/subject to change but generally.

-Only the mini complete tank 0.5 gal version is eligible. 

-Saltwater build

-Build challenge to start Oct 1. 

-Must start with a dry tank on day 1. Sand, LE, coral etc can be sourced from an existing tank after day 1. 

-Must keep a build journal on N-R* updated at least monthly. 

-Modifications allowed/encouraged but keep in mind fair play/spirit of the contest. I.e. don't plumb it to a display tank, rig a cannister filter, hook it to an Apex, disproportionately Photoshop colors, etc. 

-Optional gentlemans buy-in/pot nothing crazy maybe $5-$10.**

-Voting TBD, open to suggestions

-Lenght of time TBD, open to suggestions

*This challenge will be run simultaneously with another reef forum so a build journal/thread can be maintained on Nano-reef or on R2R both. 

**If you don't buy in you don't get a shot at the pot. Optional.

Screenshot_20210816-170748_Chrome.jpg

if anyone needs a modified setup lmk via PM...  took mine down recently.  they are ALOT of work.  decided was to much after 6 months...  keeping stable temp was nearly impossible (would go from 78 to 86 in AC controlled house in 8hrs), and top-offs 2 to 3 times daily without an ato or pump runs dry....  I'd rcmd a VERY short contest time as doubt anyone will still be up after 6 months...  and pump upgrade is an immediate necessity, as is the light mod unless you are constantly near the tank.  If you fill the sump to high and pump stops (power outage or clogged) it backfills sump and floods, then when pump restarts the water level is to low and pump sucks air and no flow in display, which also means the heater is outa water in sump now....  so had to buy a battery backup for power issues, and weekly pump/screens/mesh cleanings for clog prevention...

I would seriously rethink this build challenge...  jusy my $0,02...  I have had many sub 2.5 gallon or less picos, this was the most difficult for me, even home 24/7 for the 6 months it was running

• Like 5

Seems a bit restrictive. It means that people need to go out and buy something for sure. It says to me, you need to put money into the game as well as skin.

Challenges should be more inclusive. Of course you need to buy somethings, live stock the odd pump etc but a tank that the manufacturer isn't currently stocking? Odd. 

• Like 2
chaostactics
3 hours ago, Murphych said:

Seems a bit restrictive. It means that people need to go out and buy something for sure. It says to me, you need to put money into the game as well as skin.

Challenges should be more inclusive. Of course you need to buy somethings, live stock the odd pump etc but a tank that the manufacturer isn't currently stocking? Odd. 

Manufacturer site sold out just last week. Tank mods still has stock (official partner) and there's plenty on eBay. 

The reason it's restricted to the MCT is for uniformity, though mods within reason are allowed and more importantly because it's an unofficial contest. 

We're really hoping to get an actual build compitition going on N-R but it'd need to be endorsed and hopefully sponsored by Admin. 

chaostactics
9 hours ago, Murphych said:

I think a competition is a great idea don't get me wrong. I'm just not sure if this version is the right one. 

I think we're saying the same thing. The MCT challenge is something random and one off with no endorsement. 

Something like this compitition would be nice to see more of 

• Like 3
Nova Scotian

Although I will not take part (I’m only just now starting my first reef), would it help broaden the parameters if you did something like:

Participants can use any glass container they choose that isn’t specifically made for aquariums? I used to find cool stuff to put bettas in when I was a kid, I’m not sure that would work for you guys. You might find even some acrylic bathroom storage boxes, etc? Sherpa Design made a freshwater waterfall display with these and they were tiny and cute! 

Just gets my creative juices flowing, I loved finding things to put fish in!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Serpa Design, autocorrect 🤷🏼‍♀️

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, chaostactics said:

I think we're saying the same thing. The MCT challenge is something random and one off with no endorsement. 

Something like this compitition would be nice to see more of 

I loved that contest, was my introduction into Reefing, learned a lot during those months. Still have my 2.5g somewhere, oh yeah currently holding Feeder shrimp for my Mantis