ReefCleaners.org

10 gallon with 2 clowns?

Clownfish king

Clownfish king

I have a 10 gallon fish tank with a pair of clowns. I was wondering if #1 could I fit a small fish in there (tailspot or clown goby) and #2 how aggressive will my clowns get?

NoOneLikesADryTang

I think you’d be fine with one more small fish. I currently have a pair of possum wrasses, a clown  and two trimma gobies in my 10 gallon. Everyone is happy and gets along fine. 

• Like 3

I would also think a TSB or a clown goby would be ok.  Neither of those fish really add appreciable bio-load and they both occupy different territory than the clowns.  Personally, I'd go with the Tail Spot Blenny because I love mine!  So much personality, and also cool that it can change its color pattern when it wants to blend in.

• Like 2

I’m going to share with you a little secret that I wish someone told me.  Tail Spot Blennies are my favorite fish, but that isn’t the secret!  Most of these fish are caught from the wild.  Some of them are starving and have sunken bellies.  The ones that are and appear sick or lethargic, I would steer clear of.

I would ask the LFS employee if they could feed the TSB some brine shrimp or frozen food before you buy it to verify it eats.  Most LFS will oblige with the request.  If it’s active and it eats, it’s a winner.

One of my TSB’s named Alpha Blenny in my tank ate brine shrimp at the LFS, and every other day when I feed my tank brine shrimp, it’s right up there with Nemo excitedly waiting for dinner.  I have and had TSB’s that didn’t eat in the LFS, and I noticed that pattern continued when I brought it home.  Sometimes they don’t last as long.

163A9DEF-0B33-4F62-A2EC-AFF240EE007E.thumb.jpeg.5ac28563f4a90400e02f87c135fc802c.jpeg

• Like 4
NoOneLikesADryTang
6 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

I would ask the LFS employee if they could feed the TSB some brine shrimp or frozen food before you buy it to verify it eats.  Most LFS will oblige with the request.  If it’s active and it eats, it’s a winner.

Do this on every fish before you buy it. If it isn’t eating, don’t buy it.

I’ve never been to a fish store that won’t feed a fish for you, if you ask nicely. If they refuse, I’d walk out and it’d be the last time I ever step foot in that store. 

• Like 4