SaltCritters.com

How long now? (+Cuc compatibility question)

WormLicker

Hello, thanks for looking! I have two questions;

1. How long should I wait to add the first invert critters after cycling is complete in my new setup? 

2. I'd really like to add pinwheel plate corals at some point in the future. What cuc candidates should I look at that will play along with them? Or maybe an easier ask, what doesn't ?

M. Tournesol
39 minutes ago, WormLicker said:

Hello, thanks for looking! I have two questions;

1. How long should I wait to add the first invert critters after cycling is complete in my new setup? 

2. I'd really like to add pinwheel plate corals at some point in the future. What cuc candidates should I look at that will play along with them? Or maybe an easier ask, what doesn't ?

1. You should Waite until you have at least some algae crowing on the rock or glass panel.

2. Never add a pinwheel plate corals but snails shouldn't pose a problem. Hermit crabs could walk all over the coral and piss it off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef

I add hermits pretty much when ammonia reads zero.. they can survive nuclear blasts.. plus they are £1 each... 

Then snails as @M. Tournesol says, wait for algae, maybe a couple weeks..

fish i wait a week or 2 after ammonia is zeroed.. but only add one at a time, wait a couple weeks and add another.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I added a snail only cleanup crew shortly after I noticed the brown powdery algae/diatoms showing up on the rocks and glass. Personally, I don't care for the traditional blue leg hermits, I have one scarlet hermit that will do the job of 3-4 blue legs.

I never heard of pinwheel plate corals, so I can't speak to that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I added a snail only cleanup crew shortly after I noticed the brown powdery algae/diatoms showing up on the rocks and glass. Personally, I don't care for the traditional blue leg hermits, I have one scarlet hermit that will do the job of 3-4 blue legs.

scarlet hermits are typically much smaller than blue legs? i've had blue leg but never the other.

• Like 1