inTank Media Baskets

Holding tiny toadstool frag on rock

Melfy77

So I've got this tiny toadstool frag from this online store. They basically glued it but of course it was just floating around when I got it. Problem is that thing is the size of my fingernail and doesn't have a stalk. How do I get it attached on something?? I read something about using toothpick and bands but it's sooooo small. 

I've had luck using sewing thread - I place the frag on top of a small rock, and then I slowly wrap it a 4-5 times with a knot.  Let me know if that's something you're willing to try and I'll take a picture or two.  

Also, you could put it in a petri dish, shot glass, etc in a low flow area with small gravel and wait for it to attached to a small piece of gravel and then glue the gravel to the main rock structure.  

• Like 4

With soft corals (Ricordea and zoanthids in my case) I've had decent success using monofilament fishing line. Tie the frag to a piece of rock rubble and knot it fairly tightly, then give it a week or two to attach itself. After it is secure you can pull it out again and cut the line off. It's pretty much the same idea as the sewing thread @TatorTaco mentioned, except it's clear so you don't have to look at it. 😅

• Like 2

I've managed to get it wedged in a rock, it's already in pretty bad shape. When I touch it there's white dust coming off, like flesh...so depressing

The Petri dish, shot glass, small plastic container, etc with rubble in the bottom is a safe bet. Put some mesh, nylon bag, or something over the top with a rubber band, fishing line, whatever floats your boat. Dust or flaking is def not a good sign. Hope it works out for you.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Jungle_v_i_p said:

The Petri dish, shot glass, small plastic container, etc with rubble in the bottom is a safe bet. Put some mesh, nylon bag, or something over the top with a rubber band, fishing line, whatever floats your boat. Dust or flaking is def not a good sign. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks! Yeah I dont have a good feeling about this one. Sucks though because it's a japanese long polyp toadstool and I've wanting one for a long time. Bummer 😕

• Like 1

I've only had to deal with something like this one time, and I was able to locate a little hole in the rockwork, in a good position of the rockscape (luckily), and just dropped it in.  Thankfully the flow wasn't able to pull it out.  Must've been a pretty deep hole.  It attached pretty quickly and that fingernail sized frag because an amazingly large and gorgeous neon green sinularia/nepthea (can't remember which it was).  Looking to try and duplicate that again with my new tank.

So sorry to hear your cutting isn't doing well.  Is the Japanese Long Polyp Toadstool the same as the weeping willow?  Would love to get my hands on one of those.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, gena said:

I've only had to deal with something like this one time, and I was able to locate a little hole in the rockwork, in a good position of the rockscape (luckily), and just dropped it in.  Thankfully the flow wasn't able to pull it out.  Must've been a pretty deep hole.  It attached pretty quickly and that fingernail sized frag because an amazingly large and gorgeous neon green sinularia/nepthea (can't remember which it was).  Looking to try and duplicate that again with my new tank.

So sorry to hear your cutting isn't doing well.  Is the Japanese Long Polyp Toadstool the same as the weeping willow?  Would love to get my hands on one of those.

They're not the same. The weeping willow is #1 one on my list hahaha. It's still in the rock so I'll just wait and see 🙂

• Like 1