ReefCleaners.org

GSP POLYPS NOT FULLY EXTENDING

Ares

I am about 7 weeks into my new tank. Everything has been going great until I started to see more green film algae on the glass and red algae (Im guessing cyano) in the live sand (not on top, its in the sandbed between the glass and sand). Some things came up and I had to delay my usual water change for 2 days. Not sure if this is whats causing the GSP to not fully extend. I also noticed some tiny black dots on the glass that are very hard to scrape off and do not appear to move. 2 clownfish doing fine as well as zoas, discosoma, ricordea, clove polyps and cuc. Attached pictures show GSP about 4 days ago and now. Other two pictures show black dots/specks on glass. (Very small, had to use magnifying glass to take pic because phone camera couldnt focus on them).

parameters as of today:

pH = 8.1

NH3, NO2 = 0 ppm

NO3 = 2 ppm

SG = 1.0245

temp = 80F

PO4 = 0 ppm

KH = 9 dKH

Ca = 390 ppm

Mg = 1230 ppm

4469BE6D-80B4-4324-B895-5661E8873334.png

1538EB6A-CD6A-4631-9F67-B3836945DE21.jpeg

1CC2418E-E799-4013-A53B-F13E153208F0.jpeg

7EB1C474-EB0C-450E-8EE3-E21DF46DD985.jpeg

M. Tournesol
56 minutes ago, Ares said:

Other two pictures show black dots/specks on glass. (Very small, had to use magnifying glass to take pic because phone camera couldnt focus on them).

I have no idea how to help you, but for your black dots/specks you could put your aquarium light on white mode and use an app like "Focus [+] "(a free app that let you manually focus with a slider).

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

I have no idea how to help you, but for your black dots/specks you could put your aquarium light on white mode and use an app like "Focus [+] "(a free app that let you manually focus with a slider).

Thanks, I downloaded the app and got a better pic. Just have to zoom in.

BCB2C793-47F5-4410-AA47-7AB0F4D7C7BA.jpeg

Murphs_Reef

With the GSP. That's completely normal. They will open up when ready.. and then spend days closed up.. maybe as long as a week or 2. This is usually followed by rigorous growth with they open back up fully. 

I have a number of colony's and there is always at least one fully closed and one partially open at any one time. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Murphych said:

With the GSP. That's completely normal. They will open up when ready.. and then spend days closed up.. maybe as long as a week or 2. This is usually followed by rigorous growth with they open back up fully. 

I have a number of colony's and there is always at least one fully closed and one partially open at any one time. 

Thanks, have had it for about 3 weeks waiting for it to “grow like a weed” and nothing, so maybe thats what its doing now.

Dots are likely just the start of calcareous algae - a razor blade or some elbow grease with the magnetic cleaner will take care of them. Film algae on the glass is totally normal and algae growing between the glass and sandbed is also totally normal. When you clean your tank, clean small portions of the sand each time you do a water change and keep a nassarius or two which will do a decent job of stirring up the sand bed.

• Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef
9 minutes ago, Ares said:

Thanks, have had it for about 3 weeks waiting for it to “grow like a weed” and nothing, so maybe thats what its doing now.

Could be. By the way, sometimes depending on the type it just won't grow much..a different type will go crazy.. all in the same tank at the same time..

8 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Dots are likely just the start of calcareous algae - a razor blade or some elbow grease with the magnetic cleaner will take care of them. Film algae on the glass is totally normal and algae growing between the glass and sandbed is also totally normal. When you clean your tank, clean small portions of the sand each time you do a water change and keep a nassarius or two which will do a decent job of stirring up the sand bed.

Are there other types of calcareous algae besides coralline? Should I leave it alone and see if thats what it is? They just look more dark than pink/purple, but lights could be throwing me off and they are so small. I plan on adding LPS once I see coralline growth so kind of hesitant to scrape the dots off if thats what it COULD be.

There are other calcareous algae, but the common ones are macroalgae, like halimeda or mermaids cup. Corraline can start off as a few different colors; white, light pink, and many different shades of green both light and dark. Also I wouldn’t worry too much if you scrape it off, it won’t destroy it, it will just disperse into the water column and find new places to start new growth. 

You need to work on getting phosphate and nitrates up.

0 phos is not good and 2ppm of nitrates can easily become 0.

Gsp often close up for days, very normal.

I think the spots on the glass are just algae. A razor will remove it.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You need to work on getting phosphate and nitrates up.

0 phos is not good and 2ppm of nitrates can easily become 0.

Gsp often close up for days, very normal.

I think the spots on the glass are just algae. A razor will remove it.

Should I just feed more? Or wait longer in between water changes?

*just remembered i have poly-filter in my foam block that removes phosphates, so i took it out. Hope that helps.

Edited by Ares