Top Shelf Aquatics

Is my anemone dying

Isaacthedev

Isaacthedev

Hi all! I got back from a month away two weeks ago, and my friend had been feeding my tank but the tank was very dirty when I returned. Anyways. This is my anemone now, it still takes food and sticks to rocks so wondering if it’s bleached? Dying,? It’s tentacles are half gone. 

758F6E0B-D9C6-4BA5-B571-639EF128D02D.jpeg

The tenticle can shrivel up from bad water conditions if it was bad enough or they can reabsorb them for nutreants if they are starving causing them to shrivle up to nubs. Continue frequent feedings and good water quality and it may bounce back for you.

fishez4alivin

The only anemone I have seen like that was a bubbletip.  It got sucked into a vortech, with foam guard on.  The tentacles got sucked through the foam.  It went into hiding once I removed it.  When it reappeared it had gone from red, to a brownish purple, and it's tentacles were nubs.  It took a little more than 6 months for it to regain its original look.  I actually found baby nems in my sump from that incident.  That happened in a well established tank, dominated with acropora, I ended up selling the nem because I didn't want it to do that again.  I found anemones can really survive some awful events, but stable parameters are important for them to recover fully.  I've seen others who went through what I did, and their anemone would live a year without getting better, only to finally succumb to their fate.  I would feed it a couple of mysis shrimp twice a week, to make sure it was getting the nutrition it needed. Don't over do the the feedings, since it will start to puke it up.  When it was in that condition it stayed in a shaded area.  Prior to the event, it would get 400+ PAR where it sat to the side of my 2x400 watt SE halide fixture.  I started seeing it out in the open as after it regenerated  half it's tentacles.

• Like 1