Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

COB led with its owm power supply on board. Is it reliable? Is it save? How to connect?

Martiniiiii

Martiniiiii

Hello guys,

I just bought COB led with it´s own power supply right on the board.  (link for the COB led)  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001282591128.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ca254c4d22y2b3 

I´am amazed how something this small can work. I would thought that normal, robust power supply (smth. like meanwell, etc.) would be needed and from there to the led itself. So I would like to get some feedback from you, about what do you think about it. I´m not confident enough to plug it right into the socket and let it lit for 16 hours alone. 

My second question is about the connector type, do somebody know what type of connector it is? I want to connect it properly If I go to try it.

Thanks for your answers in advance 

I wouldn't trust that to not burn my house down let alone keeping my reef tank alive. It requires being mounted to a heatsink (of unknown size) and needs a fan (of unknown cfm) and the instructions are entirely written in broken English. It's also the wrong spectrum for a reef tank. Hard pass.

• Like 1

Yeah,I would not trust that whatsoever. Honestly,especially from sites like that sell items from places that do not have a QC or very little QC and could possibly be a huge risk for something happening. 

Like I tell everyone,basically EVER,buy quality items from reputable places. Once again,if you cannot afford to buy quality items this hobby is not for you. 

Lighting,heaters,and pumps are not items to cheap out on. Because you will spend more money replacing them when you could have just saved up for a few weeks and bought a quality piece of equipment once. Just my opinion. 

I only only buy led & components from RapidLed,StevesLeds,LedGroupBuy or LedSupply. 

The lowest white I would consider for a reef is 3500k Warm White. Promotes amazing color rendition for corals,but I always pair mine with a lime or a mint diodes to kill the yellow tint of such a low kelvin white.  

That low of a kelvin will have plenty of red and green across the spectrum. Which is something I wish more bigger companies used and took the reds and greens out of their arrays and replaced them with other colors. 

On 4/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, Martiniiiii said:

Hello guys,

I just bought COB led with it´s own power supply right on the board.  (link for the COB led)  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001282591128.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ca254c4d22y2b3 

I´am amazed how something this small can work. I would thought that normal, robust power supply (smth. like meanwell, etc.) would be needed and from there to the led itself. So I would like to get some feedback from you, about what do you think about it. I´m not confident enough to plug it right into the socket and let it lit for 16 hours alone. 

My second question is about the connector type, do somebody know what type of connector it is? I want to connect it properly If I go to try it.

Thanks for your answers in advance 

What are you planning to use it for?

You're looking at nothing more than miniaturization and integration.....part of a lo-o-o-ong trend in electronics manufacturing.  The only thing slightly new is the application to lighting....but that's hardly "new" anymore either.  This is just even-more integrated.

So this isn't really all that novel when you consider it in context.

As for reliability, you'll have to test it and let us know.  I've seen those for sale for a few years, but haven't seen one tested or in person yet.  Just make sure you set it up properly!

(If your intention is to use this on a reef tank, look for 20,000K or similar color instead of this.  Or combine this with two or more blue LEDs of similar wattage.)