Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Garlic

gregb

I have heard of people adding garlic exstract for coral health & whitespot reduction. Has anybody tried this & what has happened? There is raw garlic, minced, powdered,dry chopped, tablet form, garlic oil in capsules & so on. Probably the tank will smell like garlic bread. Greg.B the garlic king.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a bottle of garlic additive from Petsmart, think it was Seachem brand. Basically concentrated garlic oil, I belive. Only have used it on my FW tanks, but the fish go crazy for any food soaked in it, as well as the rumored benefits seem good. Haven't noticed any negative effects, and have even used it with fry.

I always have a big jar of minced garlic in the refrigerator (BAM!), and I will on occasion drip a few drops of the oil onto a small plate or dish and soak the fish food in it. As was already said, the fish go crazy for it. In addition to boosting the immune system, it is often used to stimulate a fish that isn't eating into feeding.

Originally posted by cadesun

garlic is an immune system booster, not a medicine.  it can only be used effectively as a preventitive measure.

The only thing accurate in this statment is garlic is "not a medicine".

I've read the anecdotal claims that it boost the immune system...maybe, maybe not...no evidence! I've also read that it boosts the feeding response....now this I agree with!!! Fish go freaking crazy when food is soaked in it.

I successfully treated a YT that had the worst case of HLLE I've ever seen. I fed it mysis shrimp soaked in selcon and garlic and gave it spinich to graze on.

I swear by "food" soaked in selcon and garlic

Also, I'd avoid "garlic oils"....the kent extract is concentrated garlic juice (water soluble). Any oil based product will probably create a surface film and not remain in the water column.

onthefly -- do some research before you make statements like that. chemicals contained in garlic extract are PROVEN immune system boosters in not only fish, but humans as well. it will not cure any disease by itself, rather, it boosts fish's natural ability to do so.

Bro - I have a MS in immunology.......Show me one lick (do a google search!) of SCIENTIFIC evidence that garlic "boosts" the immune system (i.e. upregulates cytokine/chemolkine production, B or T-cell maturation/proliferation, enhances their response to antigen, enhances Macrophage, Dendritic cell, Kupffer cell, or NK cell activity). The response I get from you is nothing more than I can get from the 16yo kid working at GNC, or the dread-locked hippie at the Sunday farmers market.

To say something acts as an appetite stimulant can be supported by anecdotal evidence (I put it in....they go crazy). To say something "boost the immune system" cannot be supported without some serious experiment.

If you read my post, you'll notice I'm an advocate for garlic....for the sheer fact the fish go crazy for food soaked in it and I have "treated" sick fish with it....anecdotally of course!

The best explaination I can find, and the one kent marine states on the bottle...is that it is an attractant. PERHAPS.....fish eat more and fish fight infections better because of increased food intake.

I didn't mean for you to take offense...just don't agree with, or have seen anything to support your statement.

Just did a PubMed search for "Garlic" and "Immune System". Got 72 hits......of those, only one was in a "reputable" journal (J. Nutrition) and the article by Dr. BH Lau (who has several articles about Garlic and is at a good University, Loma Linda) only talked about it's effect on cholesterol reduction.

I not saying that garlic isn't a powerfuly holistic food......it's heavily touted eastern medicine.

But I'm sticking by my "attractant" stance...and waiting for the evidence of immunological "boosting".

here ya go, this is what i found...

Garlic and aging: new insights into an old remedy

Khalid Rahman,

School of Biomolecular Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Byrom Street, Liverpool L3 3AF, UK

Received 10 July 2002; accepted 12 July 2002. Available online 18 October 2002.

Abstract

There has been an impressive gain in individual life expectancy with parallel increases in age-related chronic diseases of the cardiovascular, brain and immune systems. These can cause loss of autonomy, dependence and high social costs for individuals and society. It is now accepted that aging and age-related diseases are in part caused by free radical reactions. The arrest of aging and stimulation of rejuvenation of the human body is also being sought. Over the last 20 years the use of herbs and natural products has gained popularity and these are being consumed backed by epidemiological evidence. One such herb is garlic, which has been used throughout the history of civilization for treating a wide variety of ailments associated with aging. The role of garlic in preventing age-related diseases has been investigated extensively over the last 10–15 years. Garlic has strong antioxidant properties and it has been suggested that garlic can prevent cardiovascular disease, inhibit platelet aggregation, thrombus formation, prevent cancer, diseases associated with cerebral aging, arthritis, cataract formation, and rejuvenate skin, improve blood circulation and energy levels. This review provides an insight in to garlic’s antioxidant properties and presents evidence that it may either prevent or delay chronic diseases associated with aging.

i can probably get the whole review for you if would like. and like you said, it's nothing personal, this is just what i have read when researching this topic in the past.

Agreed Greg!

You know cade, I saw a ton of material out there on the bennies of garlic....which no one is refuting!!!.....Some of it did have an immunological spin. But, the type of journals they were published in were unreputable (not peer reviewed, so any bozo can publish).

For instance, that Rahman paper looks like it was reviewed, but is not in PubMed which is interesting.......What journal was it in?

i forget the jounal, i found it on the "science direct" journal database at my university. i actually think it was a review article itself.

• 2 months later...

My LFS suggested a drop of the Kent garlic extract every day as a general preventative measure, and to help our perc fight off a single white fuzzy patch on his side. I've been doing it for about two weeks,. Nobody else on this thread mentions a regular dosing like this - Is anyone doing it?

10" Red Devil

Okay I always thought Garlic helped fish excrete more slime on their coat in order to keep ich from attaching to them. also why isnt anyone doing any controlled Scientific experiments with the stuff!!! I mean the ###### has been out for a while now!!

This hobby is inundated with a bunch of "Snake Oils" that supposedly cure this and that, almost all of them are only supported by Anecdotal evidence as it were.

onthefly, I also have a biochem degree and unlike you I do believe that garlic helps the immune system. I've scanned abstracts of theses on PubMed and most support this. Plus, some were published in reputable journals like nature and science, so they obviously weren't written by your so-called "bozo's". Don't flaunt your MSc to support your incorrect view. Thanks.

Originally posted by NCNBilly

Oooh, looks like we're gonna have a geek-fight.  Get your pocket protectors and protractors kids.

I'm guessing you're still in high school.

Gots to agree with those in favor of garlic having a positive effect on the stimulation of immune competent cells. I too have a science degree...but I wont throw it out ('cause I dont have a protractor nor a pocket protector). Lots of evidence in various studies and many of them peer reviewed. Did my own pubmed search and their appears to be a plethora of various studies that showed the beneficial properties of garlic in stimulating the immune system (T-cell proliferation and natural killer cell activity) and preventing tumor growth. Now the question all comes down to whether the fish will receive enough of the components of the garlic extract to be of benefit. Most of the studies appear to be either a direct oral dose or injection of a large amount of either extract or purified components. This I believe is where the doubt lies....

OscarGuyGoneNano
Originally posted by Bordello

I'm guessing you're still in high school.

Sounds like NCNBilly struck a nerve. lol

Who cares if some "bozo" wrote about garlic in some article that 99% of us never will (or care to) read. It has nothing to do with whether or not it helps in a tank or not.

IMHO it helps. I haven't heard anywhere that it hurts anything.

Since we're throwing degrees around, I have dual bachelors in Education and Computer Science, and an MS in Information Systems. I am geek too, but not still in high school - thanks for the compliment though.

I used to rely on empirical proof until I started reading about string theory and quantum physics. IMO, if it seems to work - it does.

Archived