Top Shelf Aquatics

10 Gallon stocking?

CrabRave

So I am in the process of setting up a 10 gallon. The stocking plan is below.

1 Bangaii cardinalfish

3 saron shrimp

2 emerald crabs

6 bumblebee snails

Really the only things that must stay is the cardinalfish and at least 1 saron shrimp. If that is all my tank can hold, that's fine, but would I be able to add a fish or 2 to this? Before you ask, no, I don't want clownfish. The fish I was thinking of were:

1 firefish

1-2 gobies/blennies

1 more cardinalfish (to have a pair, I read that having a pair increases activity, but I don't actually know)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

IMO, a ten gallon tank is too small for a Banggai cardinalfish. Even though they are typically a slow moving fish, they can effortlessly dart across my 100 gallon tank.  I keep one in a 40 gallon and don't feel bad about it.  Live Aquaria states a minimum tank size of 30 gallons.  I feel that a 20 gallon tank is probably pushing it.

6 hours ago, CrabRave said:

I read that having a pair increases activity, but I don't actually know

My breeding pair swam out in the open more confidently.  Now that the female lost its mate, she likes to hide from me unless it's feeding time.  Although she's often out and about when I first see her.

The one in the 40 breeder hasn't seen another cardinalfish since the day it emerged from its father's mouth.  As a single, it is more confident than its mother (which was also tank bred).

I'm sure it's not the reply you hoped for, but just the impressions of a someone who successfully bred them.  On a sidenote, they are very particular eaters.  Mine seem to reject most food besides (thawed) frozen mysis shrimp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, seabass said:

IMO, a ten gallon tank is too small for a Banggai cardinalfish. Even though they are typically a slow moving fish, they can effortlessly dart across my 100 gallon tank.  I keep one in a 40 gallon and don't feel bad about it.  Live Aquaria states a minimum tank size of 30 gallons.  I feel that 20 gallon tank is probably pushing it.

My breeding pair swam out in the open more confidently.  Now that the female lost its mate, she likes to hide from me unless it's feeding time.  Although she's often out and about when I first see her.

The one in the 40 breeder hasn't seen another cardinalfish since the day it emerged from its father's mouth.  As a single, it is more confident than its mother.

I'm sure it's not the reply you hoped for, but just the impressions of a someone who successfully bred them.  On a sidenote, they are very particular eaters.  Mine seem to reject most food besides (thawed) frozen mysis shrimp.

I agree, I think bangaii cardinals need a bigger tank... and they can get big REALLY fast and can be quite territorial. I got 3 for my 32 gallon thinking two might pair and I’d return one... ended up returning all of them eventually because the one I kept the longest just got too big, and that was in 3-6 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want fish that will be quite active you could consider a damsel or 2 but if you are fine with fish that are not as active but have a lot more personality I would go with a blenny or a fire fish. I love my bi colour blenny and my purple fire fish is also very cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to know! You guys were much more helpful than the other forum I posted on.  You know the internet, some people say yes and some say no. So I will probably get a 40 breeder in the future, and stock this 10 gallon tank with a firefish and a tailspot blenny.

• Like 3
jtwisconsin

If you are just going to have one or two fish in a small tank, a damsel makes an excellent choice.  I had a small clown that lived with an azure damsel in my 6 gallon for over a year without any issues.  I introduced them into the tank together which I think helped keep the aggression down.  Eventually the clown got too big and had to go, and then the damsel lived by himself until I took the tank down. 

I haven't had one myself, but an orchid dottyback could be a good pair with a calmer damsel like a yellow tail from what I have read.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a fish Some spices of Damsel would work but watch it some get big. Some types of blennys. Some gobies species. A Pink streaked wrasse or a possum. I did keep an orchid dottyback in my 10 for a while but it would do better in a 15 to 20g I beleive altho if you are only doing one fish he would probly be fine.

If you are doing only one fish and want the sauron shrimp you could do one but im not sure on multiples 2 could be pushing it if you did 2 fish I would forgo the inverts. Except maby a hermet or 2 and some snails. 

• Thanks 1

Ooh, just looked up orchid dottybacks. They are gorgeous! Definitely going to get one. Thanks for all of your help! Does this sound good?

1 orchid dottyback

3 saron shrimp

2 emerald crabs

6 bumblebee snails

12 hours ago, CrabRave said:

So I will probably get a 40 breeder in the future, and stock this 10 gallon tank with a firefish and a tailspot blenny.

I've got a standard 10 gal with about 10 lb live rock.  I have a clown and small Royal Gramma.   

They both have personality and color and are out swimming together most of the day, though the Both fish have their favorite rock to swim above and below as RG's small cave. 

Gramma will outgrow the 10 gal, but I have upgrade plans so not worried about it.  Both fish will enjoy corals when I add.

• Thanks 1